Possible to have too much hop flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Im currently building a recipe for an IPA or maybe IIPA and since I hate and see no purpose of 60 minute boil over a 30 minute boil in some places. ( recently made a 25 minute Citra pale ale, turned out amazing)

Anyway since I am trying to do a fairly big hoppy beer in a 30 minute boil all additions add flavor, would this be overwhelming. I especially ask because all 3 are Citrus/Fruit hops with a strong presence.

Also this will be my 1st AG

5 Gal
12lb 2 Row
10oz Caramel 40
4oz Caramel 60

.5oz Amarillo @30 min
.5oz Citra @30 min

.75oz Amarillo @15min
.5oz Citra @15 min
.5oz Galaxy @15 min

1 oz Galaxy @5 min
1 oz Amarillo @5min

1oz Citra Flame out
.5oz Galaxy Flame out
.25oz Amarillo

Dry hop all 3 1oz for 10ish days

Anyway, this comes out to 1073 SG, 1018FG and with a nice 69IBU's

But like I said, I am concerned its too too much grapefruity citrisyness. I am scared of it melting tastebuds.

thanks

Too much hop flavor? Unpossible! Seriously though, you've got yourself a tropical fruit bomb brewing there. It doesn't look too bitter or citrus to me. Too mangoish maybe.

well worst case scenario is that the initial bottle melts your tongue, then you wait a couple weeks, and try another, then another, then another! until they are good - the one good thing about IPA's and IIPA's is if they are to bitter initially, a little time in the bottle/keg will fix them.

Honestly though, it doesn't look too overwhelming for most, especially not to those who enjoy IPA/IIPA's

boils are for hops utilization, so the argument would be a 60min boil will yield better hops utilization than a 30min boil, assuming the same quantity of hops - however I'm a big proponent of "it's your beer, do what you want with it" so if a 30min boil is good enough for you, a 30min boil so shall you do. :mug:

The only concern I can see with the shorter boil for an all grain batch would be boiling off DMS. I'm still pretty new to all grain. Though, so maybe someone else will know more.

How do you figure 1.072 SG (assuming you actually mean OG) from less than 13 lbs of grain? Did you use software?
I didn't run your recipe through BeerSmith, but it seams more like 1.060 from those grains with a 60 minute boil.
The point to a 60 minute or even a 90 minute boil is not for hops bittering, it's for higher OG.
You don't have to add the hops at the beginning of the boil.

Seems like a great recipe to me, actually not far off my recent hopslam clone only a bit lighter OG. I'd not worry about too much hops here. Just don't dry hop too long, 7 days max.

That's definitely in DIPA territory, although seems like taste buds lately have demanded more and more of IPAs. Like what used to be called a double is now just a regular IPA because of the tendency toward extremes.

acidrain said:
How do you figure 1.072 SG (assuming you actually mean OG) from less than 13 lbs of grain? Did you use software?
I didn't run your recipe through BeerSmith, but it seams more like 1.060 from those grains with a 60 minute boil.
The point to a 60 minute or even a 90 minute boil is not for hops bittering, it's for higher OG.
You don't have to add the hops at the beginning of the boil.

I'm new to all grain as well but I just got an OG of 1.070 from 12.5 lbs of grain.

Yeah, I dont have beersmith I just use brewtoad, I think it starts you off at 75% efficiency and I have yet to really try the AG I dont know if thats unreasonable or correct or what.

I was truly just trying to hit a 7-7.5 ABV, i have yet to actually figure out my quantity scales with AG

I was in New Orleans this summer and got a pale ale that was way more like an IPA. I can see there being to much hops. It can make the beer taste green and overly bitter. The type of hops used plays a role. I think there is a line where adding hops detracts from the drink ability of a beer.

sui said:
I was in New Orleans this summer and got a pale ale that was way more like an IPA. I can see there being to much hops. It can make the beer taste green and overly bitter. The type of hops used plays a role. I think there is a line where adding hops detracts from the drink ability of a beer.

True enough, and that line is unique to the drinker. For me, you can't get an overly bitter beer with a 30 minute addition. I'd be more concerned for the original poster's idea of hitting 7.5% abv on his first all grain batch out of 12 pounds and a 30 minute boil. To quote the first Prez Bush, "not gonna do it"!!

I just brewed an ipa with around the same quantity of hops, just different hops/schedule. It came out at around 8.3% (OG 1.072, FG 1.010) and around 120 IBUs. I took the first pull from the keg about 10 minutes ago and it's amazing. Sorry, it's my first AG and first time kegging and this beer came out better than I could have hoped for, so I had to gush about it haha.

That's a long way, i guess, to say that no, you cannot have too much hoppy goodness.

Back