Basic STC-1000 / Freezer Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sroberts

Reaction score
Nothing much to show off, but here's how I easily, or more importantly, cheaply moved from a swamp cooler to a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

I decided on a used chest freezer since they seem to be the most economical option and they can be repurposed to keezers. I didn't want this to take up a lot of space so I went for a 5cf. After 3 weeks looking on Craigslist I saw one advertised for $50 and picked it up for $40. It's a Lowe's Holiday, the older model that holds 3 kegs.

IMG_1161w.jpg

The $20 STC-1000 from mixtea on Ebay took 35 days to arrive. For the enclosure I took 2 single-gang outlet boxes, butted and glued them together and drilled a hole in between. The STC-1000 only fits in some single-gang boxes - I took it to home depot to find one that fit and had to break off a couple plastic tabs in the outlet box.

IMG_1162w.jpg

Wiring the STC-1000 is simple, there's plenty of info on the web. I removed the metal tabs on the outlet in order to have separate cool / heat outlets. On the outlet side I drilled an extra hole for the power supply and sensor wires and routed them through a rubber grommet.

IMG_1165w.jpg

I cut and glued MDF to frame the outlet boxes, and applied a temporary paint job (need to get more black paint). The bottom is Velcro'ed to keep it in place when I open the chamber.

IMG_1163w.jpg

IMG_1166w.jpg

A 75w bulb provides enough warmth to raise the temp when necessary - my basement doesn't get too cold.

Changing from fermentation to cold condition temps and back again is so, so easy with this setup.

IMG_1169w.jpg

The wires are run under the lid for now and I'll probably just leave it that way.

IMG_1170w.jpg

I believe the entire setup was less than $75 and it is working great.

I like it I have been looking into doing the same thing thanks for the idea of a light was trying to figure out a cheap heating source.

Latest posts

Back