Fading hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
I know hops fades over time but this seems REALLY REALLY quick. So I made a Dead Ringer IPA clone from northern brewer about 5 weeks ago bottled it and let it sit for 2 weeks. The first bottle I had some pretty good hop flavor and aroma (not as much as I would of liked, but I think that is an issue with Hop utilization I have with my stove). I tried two last night and I could barely taste any hops at all.

it was 1 oz of centennial hops for 60mins
" " for 20 mins
and 2 oz of centennial hops for 5 mins.

I also added 2 oz of centennial hops in the primary for 2 weeks.

I'm going to try some more tonight for confirmation.

IMO 2 weeks is not enough time in the bottle. The hop flavor may be masked by the "greenness" of the beer. Try it after 4+ weeks.

How are the other qualities? Color? Clarity? Carbonation? Lacing?

I keg, but I agree that hops flavor and aroma fades quickly. My IPAs are gone by the time they are 4-5 weeks old, but even by then the hops aroma and flavor does fade. I would dryhop the last 5 days before bottling, to preserve as much aroma as possible.

Typically, an IPA fermentation schedule for me would be:
10 days fermenting (or until has been at FG for at least 3-5 days) and wait until it starts to clear. Then dryhop for 5-7 days and package.

masskrug said:
IMO 2 weeks is not enough time in the bottle. The hop flavor may be masked by the "greenness" of the beer. Try it after 4+ weeks.

I second this. If you can wait 3-4 weeks once kegged (if bottling give the bottles about 3 weeks to carbonate, then another 3 in the fridge) the greenness of the beer will mellow and the malt and hop flavors will come back in full force. I found this out on my last IPA. Was disappointed with my beer but thought the recipe, process, and fermentation were spot on. Drank the whole keg and first week of pours were good bc the aroma from dry hopping, but once that quickly mellowed, the greenness came through for the rest of my pours. I wouldn't have known how the finished product tasted bc I finished the keg in 2-3 weeks but I happened to fill a growler from the keg, left it in the mtns, only to come back 4 weeks later and the beer was perfect. Time time time

I will let it sit in the bottle for a little longer. I just thought it weird that the first bottle I had was only after 2 weeks tasted better than one that was going on 3+ weeks. It doesn't taste bad, just less hops. Other than that, the color is a little darker than I would have wanted but that was probably due to the extract.

I live in a tiny NYC apt so I can't really keep them in a fridge for two weeks. They were out in my hallway which can get pretty cold.

I second this. If you can wait 3-4 weeks once kegged (if bottling give the bottles about 3 weeks to carbonate, then another 3 in the fridge) the greenness of the beer will mellow and the malt and hop flavors will come back in full force.

I have to say that I have not experienced this - certainly I've seen mellowing, but hop flavor coming back "full force" with aging? My IPA's always have their biggest hop flavor and aroma young.

I don't know OP, if you have no bad off flavors and your hops just seem to be fading I'm skeptical that age is going to bring it back. Guess we'll find out!

:mug:

chickypad said:
I have to say that I have not experienced this - certainly I've seen mellowing, but hop flavor coming back "full force" with aging? My IPA's always have their biggest hop flavor and aroma young.

I don't know OP, if you have no bad off flavors and your hops just seem to be fading I'm skeptical that age is going to bring it back. Guess we'll find out!

:mug:

He's right, it could very well be a magical phenomena that happens with just my IPAs, for whatever reason. But give it a try and see what happens, your issue sounds very similar to what I experienced. And I don't think the hop flavor ever left the beer but was masked by the greenness of the beer, once the greenness dissipated, the true hop flavor could be recognized again...

Sorry this thread is a bit old, but I just had the same problem with my first brew. I brewed a Black IPA from Brewer's Best. Before bottling, the taste and smell of Zythos was there from dry hopping. Not supper strong, but present. I was pleased, but not thrilled (wasn't as strong as I would have liked). It smelled very promising at boil. I followed the hop schedule to a T.

Cracked a few open after 3.5 weeks bottle conditioning and the aroma is slightly there, but hardly any hop flavor at all. Kinda stoutish, with some hops that tease your nose at first. That really faded. I dry hopped for 9 days. Next time I think I will cut it back as Yooper suggested. Friends commented they liked the beer but would not consider it an IPA (nor would I).

One question, can stale/old hops be a culprit in this too? I figure if they are older, the oil or resin could be dry and their longevity as far as flavor/smell affected.

I hope your beer has a hop revival! Let me know how it all shakes out.

Back