Skeeter Pee, SG only @ 1.060, trying to get to 1.070

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hi all, I started my second batch of SP, and I plan on using nottingham's this time, with the EC-1118 it was a bit stronger then what I would like for a drink allot type of drink.

so when I got my must all put together, I tested it with the hydrometer and my reading was only 1.055 or so...so I added 2.25 cups of sugar to it, to try and up the SG, but its only at 1.060 - 1.065 or so...how much more sugar should I add? and if I do keep adding this much more sugar, what types of ill effects can I expect, if any?

thanks for any help...

Assuming a five gallon batch:

Bump from 1.065 to 1.070 is a little more than 1 1/8 cups.

Based on this chart and one gallon being 3.79 liters.

what types of ill effects can I expect, if any?

You are making an alcoholic beverage named after the excrement of a bloodsucking insect and you are worried about ill effects? :D

Assuming a five gallon batch:

Bump from 1.065 to 1.070 is a little more than 1 1/8 cups.

Based on this chart and one gallon being 3.79 liters.

You are making an alcoholic beverage named after the excrement of a bloodsucking insect and you are worried about ill effects? :D

oh sorry, yes I guess I should have mentioned the batch size, sorry its a 5.5/6 Gallon (~21L) batch.

ok, thanks I'll add that much now and see how it changes...hopefully it does.

thanks again CGish...I added exactly what you calculated...and it got it right up to where I needed it to be, 1.070... :) thanks again...I can't wait for this one to finish now :).

i put 8pds of sugar instead of 7 and it puts mine 1.070. this is my 4th batch and i had to add sugar to the first 3 so i put in 8 pds this time it was on the money

good to hear ejr, thanks...I'm kind of liking this SP stuff...and cost per batch doesn't hurt its appeal to me either! :D

yep this stuff is great if you take it and mix it with unsweeten koolaide each pack makes a 6 pack you can drink different flavors each time ive got orange, grape, peach mango and others but the regular is just as good,i also got a lot of help drinking it my friends really like it

hahaha, same here...I did some flavoring with kool-aid...and crystal light...I've got some, rather HAD some grape, lemon lime, and orange from kool-aid and I have some raspberry ice from crystal light...I was flavoring in my wine bottles, as that was how I had bottled a few, with the flip top wine toppers...they were a good hit, but some people complained of "raw tongues" the next day, so I think its still a bit too tart/acidic for most...gotta try to find the sweet spot, that's why I just started my second batch :D ...

try some of the peach mango koolaide with this batch my wife even likes it ive been making a case of peach mango with every batch

yep this stuff is great if you take it and mix it with unsweeten koolaide each pack makes a 6 pack you can drink different flavors each time ive got orange, grape, peach mango and others but the regular is just as good,i also got a lot of help drinking it my friends really like it

is that one koolaid pack to 6 beer bottles or six wine bottles for flavoring??

Back