Propane Tank Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
Hello! I'm in the works for collecting & putting the equipment together for full wort boils, I was able to get a propane tank from my dad. My question is, don't I need some kind of gauge on there telling me Full & how much I have left? Or is a gauge optional?
Thanks so much.

Hello! I'm in the works for collecting & putting the equipment together for full wort boils, I was able to get a propane tank from my dad. My question is, don't I need some kind of gauge on there telling me Full & how much I have left? Or is a gauge optional?
Thanks so much.

They have gauges at Lowes, Home depot, Amazon, etc. I think they run close to $20 which is why i haven't pulled the trigger yet. Just spent close to $300 getting started, so gotta hold off for a while. Although, i do wonder if losing a flame mid boil will result in a lost batch.

The gauge gives me a general sense of whether or not the tank will make it through the boil or not. But I always have two tanks on hand - just when the one gets low it means I need to pay attention so that I don't lose my boil for more than a few moments. I got mine for 12 bucks at BJ's.

You can buy one or just go fill it. Use it and then refill again. It will give you a good idea how much gas is burned for your beer. I get really good use out of my tank. I usually brew about three batches before I refill. Takes about 2.5 gallons.

The gauge gives me a general sense of whether or not the tank will make it through the boil or not. But I always have two tanks on hand - just when the one gets low it means I need to pay attention so that I don't lose my boil for more than a few moments. I got mine for 12 bucks at BJ's.

Thanks for the idea. Seems pretty obvious now that i think about it. :drunk:
I don't wanna spend the money on the gauge and i don't wanna take my tank back before it's empty, so this is the best option for me. I don't get my tanks refilled, I just take em down the street to the gas station and swap it for a new one, so no need to leave unused gas in there.

RiffMagnum said:
Thanks for the idea. Seems pretty obvious now that i think about it. :drunk:
I don't wanna spend the money on the gauge and i don't wanna take my tank back before it's empty, so this is the best option for me. I don't get my tanks refilled, I just take em down the street to the gas station and swap it for a new one, so no need to leave unused gas in there.

If you do a little research, you'll find most of the drop and swap tanks are under filled. You'll generally pay less by refilling your tank.

RiffMagnum said:
Really? Where do you go to get tanks refilled?

Around me: Ace Hardware, Dreis DIY, various gas stations, larger u-haul centers, Tractor Supply and some tool rental shops. RV centers usually do as well.

Around me: Ace Hardware, Dreis DIY, various gas stations, larger u-haul centers, Tractor Supply and some tool rental shops. RV centers usually do as well.

Cool. I got an ACE right down the road. Is that a good place to buy a propane tank? I've spent alot of money on beer related stuff lately and the wife factor is a major concern.

FYI.....a dial bathroom scale is cheaper, weigh it empty so ya know when shes running low..

If you do a little research, you'll find most of the drop and swap tanks are under filled. You'll generally pay less by refilling your tank.

I know it's just anecdotal but the last time I went to the Home Depot to just do a tank swap the tank was nearly empty. It went out before I was done grilling steaks the first time. To their credit they made up for it by giving me a new (full) tank but it was definitely a pain. I was able to bring the steaks inside and finish them, a beer you may not have that option.

When you take it to a place that refills you know how much they are putting in it.

Yep - shop around for prices. My place does tanks for $13 - other "while you wait" places command $20+ around here.

I picked up a second tank, so as far as my fantastic wife is concerned the cooking tanks are adequately filled at all times.

I use a fish scale, and I know how much a blue-rhino tank weighs and how much it takes me to get through a boil ( I think about 2.25 lb).

I just got a second tank, though, and that's definitely the way to go. No waste, no worry. Get 2 tanks.

I worked at ace and would fill propane tanks. It's all weight. Weigh it empty and weigh it full.

Cheapest way to tell how much propane you have left is to take some hot water and pour it down the side of the tank. After 10 seconds feel the area where you poured the hot water. The liquid propane will make the tank cold so you can feel how much liquid is left in the tank.

Cheapest way to tell how much propane you have left is to take some hot water and pour it down the side of the tank. After 10 seconds feel the area where you poured the hot water. The liquid propane will make the tank cold so you can feel how much liquid is left in the tank.

Cheapest maybe, but i don't see what real information you learn by doing that. 4 inches of propane = One hour?
Seems the only solution is to either get a gauge, have two tanks, or better yet do both.

I personally have 2 tanks so i can get every last drop out of my propane tank. A gauge is only going to tell you how much pressure is left in the head space, not how much liquid is left in the tank. If you don't want to invest in a second tank the only sure way is the way they fill the tank by weighing it.

I have 2 tanks. One for the Grill and one for brewing. When the brew tank empties while brewing, I just go up to the deck and take the grilling tank down to the brewery. Then, during the next few days, head to BJ's and get her filled. I think its a simple solution. I get 3-4 5 gal AG batches per tank.

Sheldon

My landfill has a separate area for metal, including gas grills and tanks. Grab one that isn't compeltely rusted through, take it to a swap facility and swap it for a full one. You now have a nice shiny tank you can swap or refill. You can also go to the swap facility without a tank and pay a " deposit" of $50 (which you will never get back) or you can go to lowes or BJs and buy an empty tank for $30.00, which you can refill or swap.

Cheapest maybe, but i don't see what real information you learn by doing that. 4 inches of propane = One hour?
Seems the only solution is to either get a gauge, have two tanks, or better yet do both.

The problem is that the run time depends on how high you open the gas valve and the size of your burner. Open it all the way on a banjo burner and you may get a 6 foot flame that lasts 45 minutes. Turn it to a whisper on a low pressure burner and it may last 30 hours (I'm just making up numbers, I have yet to empty my first tank, pleae don't flame me)

I just have 2 tanks which seems to work well. When it starts getting light, I just swap it out. I feel like I get 4 brews per tank or so. Home depot swaps them out for $18 each. I just went to ky grandfathers house and he had a bunch of old tanks. I took an extra one and swapped it out for a pretty one from home depot :)

Keep in mind that the $20.00 pressure gauges measure PRESSURE, which stays constant until all of the liquid in the tank is gone and only then does the pressure start to drop. The best method is to weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight (stamped on the tank) to find out how much propane is remaining.

I have 3 tanks between my grill and fryer (for brewing). I kinda give it a shake and can kinda tell how full they are.

Keep in mind that the $20.00 pressure gauges measure PRESSURE, which stays constant until all of the liquid in the tank is gone and only then does the pressure start to drop. The best method is to weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight (stamped on the tank) to find out how much propane is remaining.

This. There is going to be a fair amount of pressure until the gas is nearly out, then it will suddenly drop like a rock. The pressure gauge basically tell you if you have time to grill a burger.

I do like the one I have on my grill, but basically for that reason only. It gives zero indication of actual time left beyond a few minutes. I can usually tell if I can make beer by lifting the tank and feeling how heavy it is.

Back