using a freezer as keezer and fermentation chamber at same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to use a freezer with temperature control as a fermentation chamber AND a keezer? I need to ferment in the freezer to keep temperatures under control but also want to get into kegging which would mean storing the keg in there too. If I kept the temp arounf 50 when it was only a keezer, rising to 65-70 when fermenting would this be a problem for the beer. At the moment, I keep the freezer at around 67 whatever, moving bottles to the fridge to chill before drinking if needed.

This is just a non-expert opinion here...but I wouldn't want my beer to be stored long term in temps that will swing from 50 to 70 degrees. Anything is possible though. There are diy threads where people make seperate chambers in their keezer, but it's labor intensive and somewhat technical, so if you're a diy guy have at it, but if you're not inclined, then I'd just get a dedicated fridge/freezer for your cold storage and keep the other one for fermenting. I currently have 3 freezers in my garage. One is a freezer, the other is cold storage for beer/yeast/grain, and the 3rd is my fermentor. I also have a dedicated kegerator in the house that holds two kegs and guess what?

I want another freezer to lager in!

Back