American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK- the calculator is very cool... many thanks for the post...

nights are cooling down up her (in the low 60's) which means great fermenting ...

Full speed ahead to AHS to get those ingredients...

You will get a full report on this kinder and gentler recipe !

Just kegged my first batch of Ed's Haus Ale. O.G. and F.G. were right on the mark. Eight days in the primary then straight to the keg. I "crash cooled" and force carbed it at 25 psi for three days. My question: WHEN CAN I DRINK IT?????? Its now been in the keg four days. Still seems a little green. I'm wondering how long you guys usually age it.

JG

swampdog said:
Just kegged my first batch of Ed's Haus Ale. O.G. and F.G. were right on the mark. Eight days in the primary then straight to the keg. I "crash cooled" and force carbed it at 25 psi for three days. My question: WHEN CAN I DRINK IT?????? Its now been in the keg four days. Still seems a little green. I'm wondering how long you guys usually age it.JG

Vent the keg, then set the psi to 12 and wait another week. I know it's tough, but I don't touch a beer before 8 weeks myself. Try it after 3 weeks, then 4, then 5, etc. and note the changes and smoothness level. It gets better with age.

EdWort said:
...I know it's tough, but I don't touch a beer before 8 weeks myself. Try it after 3 weeks, then 4, then 5, etc. and note the changes and smoothness level. It gets better with age.
Ummmm.

Well...uh...

I brewed ten gallons on June 23rd, and it was gone on...August 5th.

Twas a big party hit and I plowed through it like soft butter. I guess I judge a beers age by what time it is.....:D

8 weeks you say????

Hmmmm.

BierMuncher said:
Ummmm.

8 weeks you say????

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I have time.....

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

I'm putting a Haus from May 28th in the kegerator tonight along with a Hefe from June 9th.

Thanks Ed. I'm not sure I can do 8 weeks, but I will vent it, reset to 12 psi and give it seven more days before I "test" it again, as you suggest.

John

My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and veinna.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?:drunk: :confused: :mad:

britishbloke said:
My first attempt at all-grain.

I added an extra pound of 2row and an extra 1/2 pound of crystal and veinna.

Used nottingham dried yeast. (First time just pitching the yeast into the carboy without hydrating).

It fermented out from 1.067 to 1.020. I thought maybe adding it to the secondary would stir the yeast and ferment it down a bit more.

I had it for 10 days in the carboy in darkness. 3 weeks in secondary and 9 days carbed so far.

The beer never cleared like thepicture of you're beer shows. It's the same color though.

The taste is somewhat sweet. The smell though is what gets me. It smells yeasty. I cant smell those great hop aromas at all.

What did I do wrong here? I might reopen all the bottles and put back into fermenter and restart the fermentation?:drunk: :confused: :mad:
10 days plus 3 weeks...I think you're fermented out. My version was a total of 10 days before being kegged.

Did you chill hte secondary? That is what helps the clearing.

Don't mess around with it. Give it time. Rmember, only 9 days in and your yeast in the bottles is still actively carbing the beer. That will settle once the priming sugar has been digested.

Relax.

I will be brewing a PM version of this recipe this weekend, finally! But I need some help. I'm on my mac right now and I can't get to my beer apps....and the online ones are giving me funky results. Can someone put these numbers in beersmith or something and tell me the results?

Grain/Extract
4 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
4 lbs Alexanders Pale LME

Hops
1 oz Cascade 6.9% 60 Min
.5 oz Amarillo 8.9% 30 Min
.25 oz Amarillo 8.9% 15 Min
.25 oz Amarillo 8.9% 5 Min

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast

Notes: I can't remember if I had calculated this for 3 lbs of LME or 4, but I have a 4 lb can. Also, I plan on having about 3.25 gallons of wort after batch sparging.

One more request, can someone tell me how much different it will be if I use the Amarillo as the bittering hop at 60 Mins and use the Cascade for the rest of the schedule?

Thanks!

I don't know about the PM stuff off hand, but the Amarillo will increase the hoppiness and create a different beer.

Right, I understand that...but the LHBS only had 1 oz of cascade so...

Anyone have beersmith or promash that can crunch the numbers real quick?

bigben said:
Right, I understand that...but the LHBS only had 1 oz of cascade so...

An LHBS with only 1 oz. of Cascade. Sheesh. I would never run out of Cascade if I ran a LHBS. Then again, I'm not and I have several pounds of the stuff. :D

Still, pretty pathetic HBS. :(

EdWort said:
An LHBS with only 1 oz. of Cascade. Sheesh. I would never run out of Cascade if I ran a LHBS. Then again, I'm not and I have several pounds of the stuff. :D

Still, pretty pathetic HBS. :(
You're up on me. Only one pound on hand right now....

That'll change tomorrow though, got about 6 Oz's spoken for in my Maltese Falcon on deck for tomorrow.

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

yea I know, my normal lhbs was 'on vacation' so I went to another one. Who knows, maybe the lhbs lack of inventory will lead to a great beer :)

Beerrific said:
Using BeerAlchemy on my Mac (you can get a free trial) I get a OG of 1.057 and 43 IBUs (using Rager), if you add the LME at the end of the boil this goes to 53 IBUs. Try this it has worked well for me in the past: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Hope this helps.
sweet thanks! Ill have to check out BeerAlchemy later on. I'm on my iPhone now.

I think I will do a late addition, maybe around 20 minutes left for the boil.

EdWort, just wanted to say thanks for this recipe! Like a number of other people, this was the recipe I chose for my first all-grain batch, and now I see what all the fuss is about - just as everyone always says, now I never want to go back to extract! This beer turned out awesome, it totally blows away all my past extract and partial mash brews. It's hardly been in the keg three days and it's going fast - I just can't stop drinking it! I can't wait until it's fully carbed and clears up some more...

Yesterday, I received my HausAle ingredients from AHBS

Like an earlier poster, I plan my first AG using this straight-forward recipe

Thank YOu EdWort

Thanks for the recipe Ed! I made this 2 weeks ago and racked into kegs yesterday. Hydro sample tasted really good. Can't wait to get this on tap! It might just replace the SNPA clone as my haus ale.

My first AG batch ... not that difficult... 1044 OG, so I am pretty close..

Healthy amt of fermentation in 14 hours... steady for 24-36 hours... now settling down.

Thank You for making this so simple !

Question for Ed:

I made a Magic Hat clone that sucked (due to my bad city water). I was thinking of remaking the recipe, but I've wanted to make this one as well. I'm wondering what a few oz of apricot extract would add to your brew to get it close to a magic hat style apricot ale?

this is going to be my first AG.. so let me ask a newbie questions about the process.. with the second sparge, how long do you let it mash?

jezter6 said:
Question for Ed:

I made a Magic Hat clone that sucked (due to my bad city water). I was thinking of remaking the recipe, but I've wanted to make this one as well. I'm wondering what a few oz of apricot extract would add to your brew to get it close to a magic hat style apricot ale?

Good question, but I have no idea. I'm a Reinheistgebote brewer. Nothing but Malt, Hops, Water, & Yeast in my brews.

If I were doing it, I would add the extract in my bottling bucket or keg rather than let it ferment with the beer.

Good luck!

aekdbbop said:
this is going to be my first AG.. so let me ask a newbie questions about the process.. with the second sparge, how long do you let it mash?

When I batch sparge, I add my hot water, stir well, let sit 10 minutes, then stir well again and begin vorlauf.

I think so. It allows the water to get the sugars in solution. No enzymatic activity takes place at this time. You just want to rinse the sugars from the grain.

Hey Edwort. I just tested a few bottles of your pale ale recipe. I have to say it tastes pretty damn good only a week in the bottle. Yours looks a little darker than what I made, but I think its gonna turn out pretty freakin good. Thanks for sharing that recipe.

I just brewed my second 5 gallons ..

Racked the 1st 5 gal to secondary, then added the new batch right on top of the Nottinham yeast cake.

I had a STORM of activity in 3 HOURS!!

I have never seen anything so fast in the primary....

Is there a possibility of too fast a fermentation ??? The temp was abt 78 ..

I am sure this will turn out very well !

Count me in for 5.5 gallons of the Haus Pale Ale. I brewed it last night and it's fermenting like crazy right now. A bit on the high side at 1.053, but I really look forward to it when it's all done.

I find that it's fun to make complex beers with decoction's, step mashes and specific ingredients based on the history of the style, but this was a breath of fresh air with not much thinking involved brewing. Thanks.

kappclark said:
I just brewed my second 5 gallons ..

Racked the 1st 5 gal to secondary, then added the new batch right on top of the Nottinham yeast cake.

I had a STORM of activity in 3 HOURS!!

I have never seen anything so fast in the primary....

Is there a possibility of too fast a fermentation ??? The temp was abt 78 ..

I am sure this will turn out very well !

Two things. First, pitching onto the entire yeast cake is "overpitching" in that the yeast bypass the growth phase which emparts certain flavor characteristics. Next, 78 is too hot so it might be a bit hot in fusels (jet fuel flavor). It's probably not going to be a bad batch by any means but it could have been better.

Yea - 78 is above the recommended temp 70-75, but as usual I was getting impatient...

I now have 2 batches of same recipe, so will be interested in how the flavor diff show themselves...

Not a big fan of jet fuel !

Well I got into the MLT at 11:00 it's now 11:22. Thanks for the recipe ED. I wanted something basic and tasty this fit the bill nicely.

As I read I feel for you guys who have the lousy LHBS. Mine isn't exactly local (30 miles away), but it is fully stocked and never leaves you wanting. The few times they didn't have exactly what I wanted their knowledgable staff pointed me to the proper alternitive.

Thanks again ED, I need to get back and stir the mash...

Okay just went to primary. I stuck to the recipe to see how far I would fall short. I have roughly 4.5 gals at OG 1.041 My efficiency blows!!

I use a barley crusher adjusted to 1:00 o'clock, 10 gal rubbermaid MLT and an 8.5 gal stainless pot. I think the efficiency killer is my water. I hate to lay blame, but it seems as though it is the culprit. My water is alkaline off the normal tester scale! I use 5.2 to bring the ph to 5.2, but that doesn't change the other water issues.

Normaly I add an extra pound or so of base malt to help make up for this but wanted to see where I would fall OG wise on a much used recipe. No problem! It will still be tasty! I, (as with so many others) love cascade hops so this recipe works great for me. I may even dry hop with an OZ of Cascade in the keg to see how it tastes.

Thanks again ED for the recipe. I'm getting pretty tired and maybe a touch inebriated I been drinking Red Hook Long Hammer all night and it's starting to catch up with me. Thanks for the recipe and I plan on looking a bit closer at your others. THANKS!!

From Michigan (the land of the oppressed), goodnight and God Bless. - Robar

Robar said:
Okay just went to primary. I stuck to the recipe to see how far I would fall short. I have roughly 4.5 gals at OG 1.041 My efficiency blows!!

How much did you put in the kettle? How long did you boil? Try buying some spring water next time.

I followed the recipe even with the mashing 3.5gal, 5qt. 3.25gal Some of my volume loss comes from the hops in the bottom as I don't pour that in. The efficiency is what it is. I am not apposed to buying spring water but it seems like bumping the grain bill 5-10% is cheaper.

Back