• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tons of 55 Gal Steel Drums! $9 each

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
So you know how you've always wanted to up your game to a 1.5 bbl system but didn't have the money? Well now might be your chance as I've found some super cheap 55 gallon steel drums on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-gallon-Metal-steel-barrel-barrels-open-top-removeble-lid-lever-drums-Lot-100-/290672205613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad69df2d#shId

These are so cheap that they'd even be worth purchasing just for a solid storage container you could leave outside! New these go for ~$500, but are now listed at $9 used in bulk on ebay (maximum price is probably $20 each not including shipping). The main problem is that there are 100 of them and no one person could really use that much let alone have the storage space, that's where Homebrewtalk comes in. I suggest we organize a massive group buy for these things and find a decent way to get them delivered. Possibly one of us could drive down (pooling our money to rent a huge uhaul or 2) and deliver them on the way to the Chicago area where I could probably find the space to store for others to come pick them up, as payment the driver/deliverer could get a few.

I'll get us started with an order for 10, just 90 more to go. This would be great for some start up nanos or brew clubs!

P.S. I'm limited on PMs so lets keep things to the thread for now.

Maybe someday when I've got the cash I'll organize a group buy with Bubba's Barrels, probably the best consistent deals I can find on drums. Need to get a $2000+ order though.

Yeah the steel non stainless ones he linked in the first post. I make UDS all the time for friends with the freebies. I wish i could find a stainless one.

Ahh, fair play. I've made the same type of mistake in my late night eBay shopping. I've even ended up buying 1 or 2 things that clearly weren't what I thought they were. Anyway, no harm, no foul.

The big giveaway (other than the price) is stainless ones aren't usually painted on the outside or coated on the inside.

That said: if you find stainless ones for 9 bucks each I'll take 10 of them!

Can you imagine the size of the Brutus that you would need!

Be a pain trying to stir the mash tun though!

If anyone lives in upstate new york theses would be nice if you want to try going over the Niagra Falls!

the scrap yard by me (Columbus OH) had 55 gal SS drums in awesome condition a few weeks back. They would cost what the weight of scrap SS is.

Dang my parents are in Columbus, I don't know if I could convince them to go digging through a scrap yard for me though. Where was that scrap yard?

Dang my parents are in Columbus, I don't know if I could convince them to go digging through a scrap yard for me though. Where was that scrap yard?

It is called ace iron and metal. If you go just ask to go out to the stainless steel area and they were sitting right out in the open, shinning in the sun light.

Back