Comfort Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSweat

Reaction score
I had to do some grocery shopping last night. It was snowing on the way to the store and I was thinking a nice hot bowl of soup would really hit the spot.
As I was walking past the meat department I noticed they were advertising fresh Utah lamb. Grabbed some lamb and vegetables and stopped by the liquor store on the way home for some Guinness.
After simmering in the crock pot all night I am now eating a bowl of Guinness Stew watching the weather try to decide if it's going to snow or rain.
Now that hits the spot on a cold miserable day!

Guinness Stew.jpg

That looks so good! I'm really into comfort food right now myself and I've actually cooked about three meals in the last week!

We get a lamb each fall, and we'll be picking it up on Saturday- I'm thinking lamb stew with stout is exactly what I need to do! Thanks for the photo, and the idea.

While it is pretty "meh" drinking it, Guinness is perfect for lamb stews. It has just enough flavor to make things interesting but it doesn't impart any roast or bitterness.

The gamier the meat, the redder I want it!

Ha, I can understand that with some meats, though find your self a halal butcher and cook yourself a rare mutton chop. If that doesn't change your opinion, good god! :)

That looks really tasty. Lamb is pretty expensive around here and I don't know if I would ever put it in a stew but I now want to do the same thing with beef.

Back