Noob question - Freezing apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeds

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planing to attempt to use the apples from our tree, but I don't have a press built yet and I don't want the fruit to go bad.

I thought I should quarter the apples and then freeze them. And then that led me to ponder whether I should wash all the apples before hand.

Would this be the way to go? Hope you can help me out!

Hi,

I am planing to attempt to use the apples from our tree, but I don't have a press built yet and I don't want the fruit to go bad.

I thought I should quarter the apples and then freeze them. And then that led me to ponder whether I should wash all the apples before hand.

Would this be the way to go? Hope you can help me out!

Yes, that's what I'd do. Wash them and then freeze them in big plastic bags. I don't quarter mine, but you certainly could if you want to.

Cool thanks yoop.

I was concerned putting chopped up apples in plastic bags might contaminate them - I suppose if I use some large ziploc's though, maybe I'd be safe.

Cool thanks yoop.

I was concerned putting chopped up apples in plastic bags might contaminate them - I suppose if I use some large ziploc's though, maybe I'd be safe.

It might. But apples are covered with wild yeast and bacteria anyway (even after you wash them) so it's pretty standard practice to thaw them with campden tablets added for 24 hours before adding your chosen yeast. I've never had a contaminated batch, and I use crabapples, windfall apples, apples off the tree, etc, all the time!

Latest posts

Back