WLP 300, Two Weeks Later... Still Going...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
I made a Roggenbier two weeks ago and pitched WLP300 straight from the vial (Usually do a 2L starter for everything, but this was a spur of the moment brew and didn't have time).
First few days were crazy, lid blew off (quickly put back on), strong fermentation for 6 days, and it slowed down to about 1 bubble every 30 seconds or so.
Got busy with work this past week, and was planning on kegging it on Sunday, but realized the airlock was still going. Is this normal? usually all bubbling ceases after about a week and a half or less, and since Hefes are usually quick beers I'm a bit intrigued. Has anyone ever had this happen before?
Havent popped the top off to check the gravity, or for infection, but gasses coming off the airlock do not seem to have any off scents.
Fermentation temp ranged from 68-70.

Bubbling is a piss poor way to determine if your beer is finished or not as things like temperature change or CO2 off gassing can cause bubbling even when fermentation is complete. Check the gravity to make the call. Why would you think you have an infection?

Only because the lid blew off. It blew off at some point in the night, I immediately put it back on in the morning, but unsure of what might have snuck in. I'll take a gravity reading and taste test tonight and another on Sunday, if no change, into the keg! Muahahaha

Turned out tasty.
I guess I just need to chill out with these wheat/weizen yeast beers, they're the only ones I ever have any sort of concerns with.
Cheers

Back