2011 - Hop Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't they also say there was going to be a hop shortage for 2010 that never happened?

I'm not saying it's not possible there will be a hop shortage but it seems like the hop distributors say this each year to push volumes...

Nothing to contribute on the hop shortage but can't help commenting on Jason's avatar. I swear looks like a picture of my Sophia who is curled up at my feet as I type.

Sophie was a stray/rescue & close to death when she collapsed in our yard Summer '09. She's the gentlest/biggest heart dog I've ever known. American White Shepherds are such a great breed. Sorry for the hijack! IPA out!

Nothing to contribute on the hop shortage but can't help commenting on Jason's avatar. I swear looks like a picture of my Sophia who is curled up at my feet as I type.

Sophie was a stray/rescue & close to death when she collapsed in our yard Summer '09. She's the gentlest/biggest heart dog I've ever known. American White Shepherds are such a great breed. Sorry for the hijack! IPA out!

For the record - any thread I ever write is always welcome to a hijack about a shelter rescue dog - I'm sitting here listening to Daisy , my beagle , snore like a trucker fresh off of the highway... Cheers to you and Sophie :mug:

That article says Sierra Nevada is looking towards whole cone hops because of a hop shortage. This makes no sense for 2 reasons: SN says they only use whole cone hops. Also, whole cone or pellet, a hop is a hop, its not like they grow pellets it was a whole cone at some point. Maybe I read that wrong an SN is looking for pellets since whole cones are in short supply.

He's a pretty tough dog as he has four cats to keep after.....hence the sleeping. I actually just started working from home a couple days a week and it is absolutely amazing how much he naps. Tough life!

docRobert - It seems that the lautering website's writeup of the original article from Rogue was poorly worded. The original is more referencing the volatility of the pellet market vs. whole hops, not that one is superior to another.

Most agri-business is run on contracts, seems that some of the smaller breweries are starting to figure out why.

That article says Sierra Nevada is looking towards whole cone hops because of a hop shortage. This makes no sense for 2 reasons: SN says they only use whole cone hops. Also, whole cone or pellet, a hop is a hop, its not like they grow pellets it was a whole cone at some point. Maybe I read that wrong an SN is looking for pellets since whole cones are in short supply.

You would think SN had all the hops they needed on contract like the rest of the major breweries ;).

Well, I was going to order my first round of bulk hops next week, looks like I'll be scraping together a bit more change and up the order.. and get some rhyzomes (sp?) too...

I hear it takes three or four years to get a full harvest out of them though... but I guess the sooner I get started, the sooner that time will be up...

I have my rhizomes on pre-order, but it looks like the arrival of my vacuum sealer is that much more fortuitous. Time to get that bulk order out.

Just ordered 4 lbs of hops from hops direct today.. Gonna order another 6-10 lbs and some rhisomes early next month... That should be a very good base of hops stock to keep me going for a good while.. especially if I keep ordering to replace while it remains available...

Just got back from the LHBS and was informed there that they can't get Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Sorachi or Centennial. Their supplier wont have them back till November. I'm gonna have to go online and see where I can stock up on. Wasn't brewing during the first shortage. Some of those are staples in my brewing. Gonna have to reconfigure some recipes if I can't find 'em.

Just checked Freshops.com, They have all of those except Sorachi Ace. I need to place an order soon, I'm almost out of Simcoe & Amarillo. Need some Cascade too.:mug:

I was at Midwest last week and they told me there was a shortage of Simcoe and Amarillo. They said most LHBS won't be getting much of either until maybe March of next year. Their Amarillo prices have nearly doubled...

Latest posts

Back