Thirsty in Scottsdale, AZ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwangler

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot and just starting to lurk around here. Found HBT through google searching and after a number of times just following links to the site I thought I may as well just join.

In fact, if anyone in the Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, etc... East Valley of Phoenix is brewing any all-grain brew anytime soon I would love to just come along and watch the process being the visual learner that I am.

For now, working on getting supplies for a decent set up.

Prost!

Welcome to the forums! if I didnt live out in 'copa I would have you out for a brewday. I started like you, reading and lurking, gathered equipment and started brewing all-grain having never even seen how it was done. and I have enjoyed the ride thus far!

Welcome to the forums! if I didnt live out in 'copa I would have you out for a brewday. I started like you, reading and lurking, gathered equipment and started brewing all-grain having never even seen how it was done. and I have enjoyed the ride thus far!

The guys at the brew shop looked at me and my buddy like we were idiots when we said we wanted to start with all-grain...

Maybe if it was a nice fall or spring day a drive out to Maricopa for a brew session wouldn't be too bad at all...

Come to Papago tonight.

On of the guys from ASH is tapping his pro-am RIS.

I can give you info on ASH.

I love Papago especially how close it is to home but I don't think I can make it tonight... doing any batches soon? I'm checking out ASH as I type... thanks for the resource

Greetings and welcome to the obsession. I'm 40+ miles from Papago (think NW Valley) but if you'd like I can PM you the next time I brew an AG batch. Gonna be freakin' hot in the garage though! :eek: SWMBO won't let me brew inside.

The guys at the brew shop looked at me and my buddy like we were idiots when we said we wanted to start with all-grain...

Maybe if it was a nice fall or spring day a drive out to Maricopa for a brew session wouldn't be too bad at all...

which brew shop was it? I got that same reaction myself.

as for brewing in the fall, I will definately keep everyone posted once it cools off.

Welcome. There's a place called Brew Your Own Brew on Baseline in Gilbert. They're really helpful and they have everything you need to get started.

Welcome to the forum... there is nothing wrong with starting with all-grain as long as you put some effort into understanding the process or watching someone else do it...

I personally don't have time for it so I've settled for extract brewing for now.

Brew Your Own Brew is great, but they are still stocking so right now they only carry mostly English grains and whitelabs yeast strains... no wyeast!

Definitely check out ASH... we've got a meeting coming up next week... plus you get 10% discount at the local home brew supply stores... (pays for itself in your first 2 brews)

http://azhomebrewers.ning.com/

See you around...

on the note of discounts, all card carrying ASH members shopping at brewers connection get 10% of their total purchase donated back to ASH, that is quite a help for events and gatherings.

which brew shop was it? I got that same reaction myself.

as for brewing in the fall, I will definately keep everyone posted once it cools off.

Brewer's connection in Tempe. Closest one to my house. Guys were friendly but the one thought my friend and I were crazy. Not stopping us though!

Thanks for the welcoming guys! So, if I read this correctly... I get a 10% discount for being an ASH member and they donate 10% back to ASH??

Great deal if that is the case. I'll be joining soon then.

you personally get the discount on your first 2 purchases I think, but the 10% donated to the club is all the time, you dont get the discount, just the percentage goes to ASH. that is only at Brewers Connection as far as I know, BYO offers a discount off your purchase that saves you cash, where BC gives that money to the club instead of back to you, I hope that made sense.

you personally get the discount on your first 2 purchases I think, but the 10% donated to the club is all the time, you dont get the discount, just the percentage goes to ASH. that is only at Brewers Connection as far as I know, BYO offers a discount off your purchase that saves you cash, where BC gives that money to the club instead of back to you, I hope that made sense.

Makes sense, thanks! We are about to assemble our brew stand. Need some advice on burners? Simple low pressure 55,000 btu good enough? Thinking of going with these

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_...ne-Gas-Burner_item_485248.html?source=froogle

Please advise. Hoping to get the rig welded this weekend! Maybe do our first batch next week!

I have 55,000 btu burners and it takes probably 45 / 60 minutes to bring 10 gallons to a rolling boil. However, I don't have any insullation jacket on the pots either. If I was to do it again I'd go bigger. That is, unless, you're only planning on doing 5 gallon batches. But I'd still recommend bigger.

This link will show you what I have.

my cheapie fryer burner is rated at 70k btu, and it will bring 10 gallons to a gnarly boil in about M0-30 minutes. I use a keggle if it makes a difference. I have looked for another burner like the one I have now, and cannot find one anywhere.

How about these mamma jammas? 100,000 btu

I have 55,000 btu burners and it takes probably 45 / 60 minutes to bring 10 gallons to a rolling boil. However, I don't have any insullation jacket on the pots either. If I was to do it again I'd go bigger. That is, unless, you're only planning on doing 5 gallon batches. But I'd still recommend bigger.

This link will show you what I have.

Exactly what I was looking at getting... we're doing a keggle single stand tiered set-up. Thank you for giving me a "time-to-boil" idea. I may try to go a little bigger. Splitting the cost with a friend and he's ambitious, i.e. we'll be doing larger batches before I know what hit me, I'm sure.

Exactly what I was looking at getting... we're doing a keggle single stand tiered set-up. Thank you for giving me a "time-to-boil" idea. I may try to go a little bigger. Splitting the cost with a friend and he's ambitious, i.e. we'll be doing larger batches before I know what hit me, I'm sure.

You're welcome and yeah, it will. You got a build thread going in the DIY section yet?

Added a thread in the DIY... check out the "brewtree" type rig I'm going for... Pro's and Con's?? Additionally, still looking for someone who is gonna do an all grain brew. I guess I should just wait til its nicer outside to actually brew but I'm pumped to get rockin... It will all have to wait as I'm headed out of town for 12 days anyways.

I will post here for my next brewday, if interested, and you can hang out, I will be brewing fairly soon, I try to get in a brew every other week, maybe when you get back? PM me and I will let you know the next date after you get back, if the drive to 'copa is cool for you.

Back