Keezer Collar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
I've got a 21.4CF chest freezer that I'm going to build a collar for. I'll try to take pictures and stuff as I go, but I wanted to see if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. So far my plan is to build a 2x6 collar and attach it to the freezer, as the lid is already heavy enough without adding a collar to the weight.

Here is my shopping list for the hardware store. Nothing I hate more than making five trips to the store in the course of one project day.

2 of 5' 2x6, 2 of 28" 2x6 - will just ask them to cut it to a couple inches longer than I need so I can trim it down to exact fit
15' of foam insulation to attach to the inside of the collar
Mitre box to make the pretty corners
Sandpaper to clean up cuts
90-degree clamp to hold corners together while I glue them
Liquid Nails to attach collar pieces to each other and insulation to collar
4 L-brackets and hardware to reinforce collar
Stain
15' of weatherstripping to replace old seal on freezer lid

I already own a drill bit for drilling out holes for taps.

Are you going to stain or paint the collar? I used weather stripping on the top and bottom of my collar. You are also going to need some way to drill the holes for your shanks. Other than that, you look like you should be good to go.

I finished up this morning. The only tools I used were a drill and a circular saw. If you don't have a circular saw and can get Home Depot or whoever to cut the wood to length for you, you only need a drill to do this project.

I thought overall it went well, considering how inept I am, but ran into a problem at the end. Moving the freezer back in, the collar shifted. I had attached the collar with Liquid Nails, set the lid on it for weight, and let it set for about 18 hours. The package says 24, but I figured its been so hot outside, it would be fine. I guess not. Any ideas on whether I should kind of wedge each side of the collar up and lay more liquid nails down? Just bead some silicone sealant along the bottom and not worry about it not being strongly attached?

Anyways, pics here, scroll down just a bit: Green board

Back