bayou classic sp10 and keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I have read several posts on here about the sp10 needing to be modified to fit a keggle, but found nothing about using a 15 gallon stock pot. Does the burner need to be modified because of the weight,or just the rounded bottom of the keggle? Would it have to be modified at all to work with a 15 gallon stock pot?

Another question I have is why use a keggle? If i can get a ss 15 gallon pot with a ball valve for almost the same price as a keggle without a valve( without stealing a keg) shouldnt I go with the one that was designed to boil wort?

Thanks, James

People get keggles because they are usually A LOT cheaper than a pot of the same size. If you can get a pot for the same amount I would go that route. As far as modifying the SP10, you need to put a grill on top of it because the keggle is larger than the burner. That being said, you should get the OD of the pot you are looking at and measure and see if it will fit. The flat bottom will probably make it fine.

Sorry for bringing back my old thread i'm just wondering if the sp10 will be stable enough to hold a 60 qt pot flat on the bottom with a 18" diameter? For doing 10 gallon batches am I better off going with this and being a little more unstable?(if the pot will fit) Or is it better to sacrifice the btus and get the sq14?
Thanks james

3 legs is actually more stable than 4,ever been to a bar where the table just won`t stay still till ya shove a pack of matches under the forth leg?
if you have a flat bottom pot it should be just fine on an sp10 ,I modified mine to hold a keg because the ring of the keg is slightly larger than the outside rind on the sp10 allowing it to tip over,and with 14 gallons of boiling wort this is a really bad thing.

I always say let your wallet be your guide.

Back