Apparently I don't pay attention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stordl01

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post and my first brew
and of course I did something wrong.
I was kinda distracted while i was getting my kit out
and sanatized and put together. I accidently put my
crystal thermometer (the sticker one) inside the bucket.
I brewed it and it is fermenting and I just realized
what I did. Is this gonna be an issue?
Are the chemicals from it going to get in the beer?
If not should I just leave it in, or try to get it out,
before my next brew?

Oh,man. Thats funny, let me know how it goes or i'll have to know what the experts say. Its one of those situations when you want to kick yourself in the ass for doing it.

I do want to kick myself. I'm just hoping
it didn't dissolve it something. It will really
suck if wasted all that money and time.

I would say the only thing to worry about on there is the glue they use but I'm not sure if it would leach or not. You might be ok just letting it go and maybe that stuff will settle out but I'm not sure.

You'll be fine. At worst you may have leached the adhesive off the thermometer but even then I doubt that its toxic. Rely on your taste buds and if it tastes fine drink it.

I would even be willing to bet the thermometer still works once you retrieve it.

I put it in as I sanatized it so it got sanatized as well
not quite as well as the bucket but I rubbed it down
with a paper towel that had the sani solution on it

Thanks for the link. I think it should be okay because it will have only been in there a week when I bottle. I guess i'll just peel it off and scrub the hell out of the area to make sure there is no left over glue. And if it makes the beer toxic at least i'll die happy, with a beer in my hand.

Latest posts

Back