Trub Pancakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tasted the nasty stuff. I wouldn't think it could be that bad (not that I've tried) since it can mingle with something that tastes so good ,just really yeasty,. Everyone that sees my carboy thinks its just the nastiest thing ever.

SWMBO dared me to taste the trub from the mocha stout (which looked like nasty-ass chocolate pudding; or something from tubgirl). Since I couldn't elicit any kind of recipricating promise other than "I'll be amused," I respectfully declined.

I'll stick with spent grain. I suspect trub will be really bitter. Having once sampled a 19.3% AA (scary what some growers are doing) hop pellet and a flake off of a conveyor belt in a hop processing plant, I need no other challenges.

My brewing buddies and I all tasted the trub when we made out first batch. I think I even have a picture of my facial expresion at the time. It was not super pleasent, but doesn't taste nearly as bad as it looks.

We tasted just about every component at all stages of the process, including eating hop pellets and trying all the malt extracts (wheat extract tastes like good candy), and we even tried the maltodextrin we had for adding body to our stout (no real flavor or detectable sweetness).

I pride myself in knowing what every ingredient and byproduct of my beer tastes like, although I stop short of drinking the fluid left in the airlock.

EDIT: Aha! found a picture: http://filer.case.edu/dcr10/Photos/Brewing/Hello World Stout/2006-04-07 - Bottling/100_4641.JPG

Oh God, just seeing you with that spoon close to your mouth makes me queasy. I'm with david, I'll stick to the spent grain. For some strange reason I actually look forward to chewing on a bit of it after the mash... even though it ends with me choking on grain husks :)

G. Cretin said:
Some one did recently. He's a braver man than me.

I believe that was me, but jeebus! I didn't eat a whole spoonful, I just had a tad on the end of my finger. That spoonful is mighty ballsy.

opqdan said:
although I stop short of drinking the fluid left in the airlock.

I put cheap vodka in mine. I little shot here, a little shot there......

I wonder if Tequila would do the same for me? :cross:

EdWort said:

I'm thinking more of a dessert for those that doubt the home brews. Maybe on some icecream and pie.

EdWort said:

You know, I've been using the last of my cheap vodka in the airlock these past few batches, and the one from the IPA I was dryhopping smelled might hoppy. I was real temped to find out what it tasted like, but it was far too early in the day for me to even contemplate taking a shot (what can I say, I'm a wuss about drinking at 10AM). Makes me wonder, though; what would happen if you dryhopped some vodka for a couple weeks? Are hop oils alcohol-soluable? Would it give any good flavor, or maybe just some hop aroma?

Methinks I may have to buy some more cheap vodka and find out. Got an ounce of Cascades left over in the fridge.....

Back