So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked out that baltic porter. Long brew day. Wife is out of town, we usually brew together and it definitely shortens the day if one of us can mill grain while the other is heating the strike water and getting stuff out and if we can both clean up together at the end. Also had over 2 hours of mashing and a 90 minute boil. I also had, believe it or not, my first boil over and this was a 5 gallon batch in a keg, I used to brew 5 gallons in an 8 gallon pot and never boiled over.

In celebration of being done, I went out and got an Okocim porter and the Aldaris Porteris ($5 for both, sweet). I also kegged a cal common and a couple other beer chores.

I did my first all-grain yesterday, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIAB, no-chill.

I first finished up the 5-gallon water bottle hopper to complete my rip-off of WilserBrewer's ingenious Corona Mill in a bucket.

Unfortunately, my normally reliable ThermoWorks thermometer decided to flake out and I mashed much hotter than expected. I am hoping that it just needs a new battery. We will see how the beer turns out, as I am certainly not dumping my first all-grain attempt.

I expect that it will have cooled enough to pitch the Notty tonight.

Just finished for the day. Made a Pale Ale w/ Cascade, and some ginger beer.

Day took forever, had to rebuild the counterflow chiller, as we didn't have a quick connect when we first made it, and of course garden hose isn't NPT...

Big beer next weekend on the cake!

Just finished 10 gallons.
5 Gallons Sam Ale Light
5 Gallons Canadian ale..
So much for the Honey Do list.and she will P..... off

just finished up AHS American IPA a few hours ago....i think i pitched my Notty a little on the warm side :cross: oh well..it will be alright

Got a 5 gallon BrandonO's Graff in the Primary this morning, , need to rig up a bucket and ice so that I can get it to the correct fermenting temps. Wanted to do the Graff for a while, now the daughter and my new son in law is on their honey moon, everything should get back to normality. Also moved 5 gallons of my Cherry Wheat into the keg. Gonna be a hit at the Crawfish dinner I'm throwing for the Newly Weds Sunday.

Got a Pacman starter going last night. I'm gonna use it to brew that hoppy american red ale from "Brewing Classic Styles" tomorrow. I love that book. Slowly working my way through all the recipes.

I'm also kegging a Traditional Bock (also from BCS) tomorrow to get it ready for lagering.

got my pacman yesterday and a new 52 qt coleman xtreme, so I might do Yoopers DFH 60 clone, or just a Liberty Cream Ale. Darn I wish I ordered that stainless BV From Bargainfittings earlier than today.

I started four 1 gallon batches of cider last night, as well as a small batch of Lindemans Kriek I'm fermenting the excess sugar out of.

Just picked up ingredients for a Pale Ale, an IPA, an Irish Stout, and a Hefewiezen.
I think I'll do the Pale and the Hefe on Saturday, then maybe brew the other two later next week.

Shooting for a RyePA (Can You Brew It Terrapin clone recipe) on Saturday. Pitched the yeast into a 1.8 liter starter this morning, and it's fermenting away. I've never used American Ale II yeast, so this should be interesting.

I'm going to do my first AG this weekend using DRoyLenz's stovetop AG method from the All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing page. I'm going to make a 2.5 gallon batch of a simple Simcoe/Citra IPA using Maris Otter as my only grain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Surly Furious Clone attempt. Also posted recipe on IPA Recipe database after discussions and adjustments. I hope it turns out well, I'm putting in a few hops! Good thing they are relatively inexpensive right now.

Shirley is Furious

Taking a bit from everyone, and getting closer to the IBU's listed on the can (99 IBU). I'm an engineer. I can't help but adjust everything. I'll probably try to dry hop at least 3 gallon of this in the keg..... I like to mix it up with my larger batches - yeast and hopping style. I usually split the fermentation with 2 yeasts, keg 3 gallons from each "half," and bottle the rest of that.

Brewer: Rusty Kettle Brewing
Beer: Shirley is Furious
Type: All grain
Size: 12.5 gallons
Color: 29 HCU (~15 SRM)
Bitterness: 94 IBU
OG: 1.066 FG: 1.013
Alcohol: 6.6% v/v (5.2% w/w)
Wyeast 1335 6.5 gal
Safale S-04 6 gal (I like the way this seems to bring out the hops for me - YMMV)

Grain:
23 lb. Golden Promise
1 lb. Munich
1 lb Crystal 60L
4 oz. Torrified wheat (head retention)
3 lb. Belgian CaraMunich

Mash: 80% efficiency
Mash Temp: 152F 90min
Boil: 75 minutes 13.5 gallons

Hops - adjusted for my utilization (pellets in a bag):
3 oz. Warrior (15.8% AA, 60 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 20 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 20 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 15 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 10 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 0 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 0 min.)
2 oz. Simcoe (DH)
2 oz. Amarillo (DH)
2 oz. Ahtanum (DH)

Blood Orange Hefeweizen to be started tomorrow, WLP300 in the starter jug. SUPER excited for a summery, wheat homebrew.

SkiSoloII, if you like Furious, try to get your hands on their new IIPA "abrasive"! It's great. Good luck with your clone.

Probably not going to get the efficiency I ws hoping for. It seems 28lbs of grain is a bit much for a 10-gallon round cooler - even with a stiff mash 1:1. I put a couple of lbs into a small "auxilliary" cooler (I used to steep in it), and am kind of doing a double mash - this beer may need a new name entirely!

Dave

what recipe are you doing on your barleywine?

This is my first BW, but my recipe is....

Target OG is 1.105

19lbs 2 Row
1/2lb Honey Malt
1/2lb Special B

Mash @150 for 90 Minutes, @1.25 qts/lb

2 hour boil

1oz Nugget @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 30
1oz Nugget @ 20
2oz Saaz @ 10
1oz Centennial @ 5
2oz Saaz @ 2
2oz Centennial @ Flameout

Comes out to 87 IBU's

Pitch Two packs of US05 & Primary for a month, Secondary with Oak chips(not sure how long yet)

not brewing this weekend but I just got my SS ball valve and hardware for manifold for my brand new 52 qt cooler. My underwear got tighter when I looked at that ball valve. I might just have to belt out a batch tomorrow.

I did OK. Got 12 gallons of 1.065. I am messing around with the late runnigns as well. Boiled 3 Gallons of late runnings (1.025 OG - "Dave Lite") with 0.5 oz of Perle @ 60m and the other 0.5 @ 20 min. The SWMBO doesn't like the "bite" of most of the beers I brew. Though.... She likes porters and stouts - go figure. A good Porter is my next batch.

Dave

Back