pitched the yeast when it was way too hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishIwereDrunk

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last night and threw it in the primary around 2300 hours. I'm pretty sure I pitched the yeast when it was way too hot. Tried to cool it down as much as I could, but thought for some reason that it was more important to get it in there quick than get it in there cold. I'm guessing it was 95F-105F when I pitched and after having sat overnight I'm thinking its still in the 80Fs, because it only feels slightly warm but still not registering on the thermometer stuck to the side which only goes up to 78 I think.

Also, I have read when making an Amber Ale to stir and to NOT stir the yeast in. I thoroughly stirred it and it was pretty warm.

And this morning I noticed the water in the airlock had gone down by about half, which I guess means its in the wort.

Do you have a big cooler or trash can or even the bath tub where you can place the fermenter and add some cool water and even some frozen water bottles? If not, at least place a damp towel over the fermenter and blow a fan on it.

You already know this- next time bring your wort down to 70 degrees as quickly as you can (ice bath in the sink works great) and then put the wort in the fermenter and then pitch the yeast.

Wait for about 3 days before you worry too much. You probably didn't kill the yeast, unless it was over 100 degrees.

Ok, I just added more water to the airlock and it stayed for about 15 seconds then went inside the bucket. I dunno what to do, but I have to leave for work so hopefully it'll be alright.

EDIT: Just read your response Yooper. I'll throw and towel and fan on it before I run out the door.

Try using a really long blow off tube as large a diameter as you have this will give you a little buffer before anything is sucked into the fermentor. I'ts happening because hot air takes up more space than cold air as everything cools its going to draw in air.

Try using a really long blow off tube as large a diameter as you have this will give you a little buffer before anything is sucked into the fermentor. I'ts happening because hot air takes up more space than cold air as everything cools its going to draw in air.

Yep, that's the science behind it. Since the wort has to cool, it'll draw in whatever air it can. Since it's sealed, it'll draw it in through the airlock. (Another reason to cool it before it goes in the fermenter, I guess).

Home on lunch break, just checked the fermentator, temp is down to 76F. Thanks for the towel and fan idea, worked like a charm. Saw some bubbles come up through the airlock too, which is a good sign I guess. Since it was so hot when I pitched the yeast, should I let it sit in the primary longer?

If you have fermentation activity, congratulations! I was worried with the original post. In the future, get your wort dow to, at least, 85F for ale yeasts (lower for lagers).

Leave it in the primary until it's done. Until it's done.

TL

Further comments (sounds like you are fine for now):

If you don't put too much fluid (I use cheap vodka) in the airlock, it won't backsuck fluid, though that depends a bit on the design of the airlock.

You can simply leave it to cool overnight and pitch in the morning, if need be - it's not ideal, but is more ideal than pitching too warm.

If you have fermentation activity, congratulations! I was worried with the original post. In the future, get your wort dow to, at least, 85F for ale yeasts (lower for lagers).

Leave it in the primary until it's done. Until it's done.

TL

What is optimal for most Lager yeasts? I know 70 is the top, and actually too high.

I noticed Irish said he spilled some of the water from his airlock into the wort. I did the same thing and I always put a little bit of the cleaning solution in my airlock (will start using cheap vodka) , because I was told water won’t work. Anyway, will that little bit of solution kill my beer and or make anyone that drinks it sick?

For lager yeasts, you really can pitch up to 75-80, but you don't want to keep it there for too long, or you will wind up with a fruity lager. I have found that it really is best to pitch lager yeasts at or very near the fermentation temperature. Some folks pitch a little below that, letting the temperature rise up to fermentation temperature, and claim very good results. Yooper is one I can think of that has talked about that practice. I haven't tried it, but I probably will with my next lager.

On the water or the vodka or the cleaning solution, it shouldn't be a problem, although I don't know what you clean with, krc. Water will work fine in your airlock, though. If it doesn't, someone will have to tell me how I've been getting all this beer all these years.

TL

What do you use? Star-san is supposedly more-or-less yeast nutrient when diluted, so that's fine. Water, even really nasty water, works fine as an airlock fluid, but can be bad (particularly if really nasty) if it gets sucked back into the wort. Idophor, diluted for use, dispersed over 5 gallons is not likely to be a problem, barring some sort of iodine sensitivity. Bleach-water could cause some off-tastes.

So-cheap-you're-embarrassed-to-buy-it vodka has some active ability to kill stuff that gets into it, and causes no harm if sucked back, which is why I use it, but it's not the only thing that works.

On the subject of nasty water as an airlock, Louis Pasteur's book on beer has some powerful reading....

Internet Archive: Details: Studies on fermentation : the diseases of beer, their causes, and the means of preventing them

See page 340 for the fermenter and 342 for the "putrid water" comment.

Ok, the bubbles I saw earlier today, were literally just two bubbles and I haven't seen anymore since.. I'm fairly certain it was too hot when I pitched the yeast originally, I think from what I've read that I probably killed it.

Can I salvage this batch by pitching some more yeast in? What kind of an affect would that give me at this point?

Give it another day and see if it takes off (yeast are hardy little buggers). If not, you can re-pitch now that you are down to a good temperature. I'd recommend using the same type of yeast and you should be fine.

I did almost the exact same thing on my first batch. My fermentation seemed like it was done after 24 hours. It wasn't, of course, but it seemed like it. After 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottle, my ale tastes fine (enjoying one right now as a matter of fact). No doubt that there is some "hotness" present, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Chances are you'll be OK. Get that temp down and just let it go for 3 weeks(secondaries are overrated in my book). The most important lesson from this is that you learn that fermentation temps are very important and will have big effects on your final product. That being said, it's your first and you'll love it. Also, do a starter next time if you didn't. It will help the yeast get going.

Well I still haven't seen anymore activity.. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning and then pick up some more yeast I guess. This is the kind that came with my kit, I just opened the packet and poured it in and then stirred it, while steam was still rising up, lol.

my.php

the above picture isn't showing up and I'm not sure why, but its called Munton's Ale Yeast Y001

Well I still haven't seen anymore activity.. I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning and then pick up some more yeast I guess. This is the kind that came with my kit, I just opened the packet and poured it in and then stirred it, while steam was still rising up, lol.

my.php

the above picture isn't showing up and I'm not sure why, but its called Munton's Ale Yeast Y001

You have to be a paying member to directly post photos, or use a website like photobucket.

I noticed Irish said he spilled some of the water from his airlock into the wort. I did the same thing and I always put a little bit of the cleaning solution in my airlock (will start using cheap vodka) , because I was told water won’t work. Anyway, will that little bit of solution kill my beer and or make anyone that drinks it sick?

I always use Vodka in the airlock. Before I siphon, I'll do a mouthful of vodka, swish it around, and then let it dribble out over my lips.

IrishIwereDrunk, any luck? It is pretty hard to kill the yeast, but higher temps can do it. Did you re-pitch? Did your original yeast 'come to life'?
Inquiring minds want to know!
-E

I just opened the packet and poured it in and then stirred it, while steam was still rising up, lol.

I was noticing the temp of my Pumpkin Ale on friday and it stopped steaming at around 120-130 degrees, and if it was still warm in the morning, I'd guess you were quite hot when you pitched the yeast. I guess if it were very cool in the house that would make a difference in the amount of steam.

I'm a real noob believe me, but if these guys think it can be salvaged by putting yeast in now, I'd be very encouraged.

Good luck, and I hope you post the results of this!

Back