Mammoth Brewing Co "IPA 395"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
Just got back from my camping trip and I picked up a few beers on the way. I just finished drinking the "IPA 395" by Mammoth Brewing Company. This company has been in business since the early 90's and brews beer in Mammoth Lakes, California. I tried their double nut Brown and the IPA 395. The brown was nothing special, but the IPA 395 is something I've never had before.

It is, apparently, a double IPA, but it literally tastes like a pine tree. It is brewed with local grown hops, sage, and juniper. The sage is extremely pronounced and it gives the beer a real "piney" flavor. This could be from the hops as well, since some hops have a pine hint to them.

An extremely unique beer, to say the least. Has anyone else ever tried this beer, or anything similar? I can't say I loved it, but it made for an interesting experience. It was $5.00 for a 22 oz beer, but the 8% alcohol level almost made it worthwhile.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Beer-Reviews-84273.htm

I haven't had this beer, but I've had their "Floating Rock Hefeweizen." I think they only ship their Epic IPA to our valley, but I'll look next time I'm in town.

I had this beer when I was in town for the Blues & Brews and I didn't like it.
They really need to advertise that it's not your typical IPA before you buy one.
Thankfully, they let me exchange it for another brew.

I had the 395 when I was up in the Sierras this summer. I enjoyed the 395 with its sage and juniper notes. To me it would make a wonderful Christmas beer. I would keep it for the season.

The Mammoth Epic IPA, however, was great. I bought a sixer a day. I couldn't get enough. I've never created my own recipe but if I knew what I was doing I would work on the Epic. I'm going up for the Blues and Brews festival next year. I missed it by 1 week this year.

I look forward to having 395 every time we go to Yosemite. One of my favorites. Their Epic IPA was very good as well.

I was just up in Yosemite and picked up a few of their brews. The 395 was very interesting with the sage and juniper in it...I enjoyed it though. I wouldn't be able to drink a ton of it, but it was great for sipping on after a couple long hikes! I also tried the Tuolumne Meadows IPA which I really like. It was especially fitting since I was camping in Tuolumne Meadows. It was well balanced and a pretty easy drinker for an IPA. I wish I could find it where I live.

If you can manage to lay down one of those Epics for a few months, it will pleasantly surprise you.

This is one of my favorites! I went to Mammoth two years ago and have been dreaming of this beer since. I live on the other side of the country from the brewery and can't order it here. I want to make a small batch (1 gallon) of something like it, but being from New England, I don't have desert sage lying around. Since I am a total newbie, I'm not sure how to determine the amount of each ingredient to use. Here's what is listed on the web site:

Style: Double IPA
Malts: ESB, Crystal, Caramunich and Dark Munich
Hops: Millenium and Centennial
Adjunts: Sage and Juniper Berries
ABV: 8.0%
IBUs: 50

Any thoughts on percentages or amounts for these ingredients? Any expertise is appreciated!

It's been a while since I've had this beer, so I can't offer too much advice on cloning it. I'd start with a typical IPA recipe which would be 80%-90% of your base malt (ESB in this case), maybe 10% munich, and 5% or so of your crystal and caramunich. As far as hops I might go for 30-35 IBU's from a 60 minute addition and 15-20 IBU's from a 20 minute addition. Then do a 0 minute addition and dryhop.

Like I said, this just gives you a place to start and won't necessarily be a clone. I have yet to use sage or juniper in a brew so I can't offer any advice there. I've heard juniper is pretty potent though and you don't need much.

So I brewed a variation of this today. I know it's after the fact, but here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

395 IPA ( adapted by me)

Grain bill:
2.25lbs Gambrinus ESB malt
.3 lbs. Crystal 60
.3 lbs. Dark Munich
.15lbs. Caramunich

3quarts water for mash @ 160F for 60 min, mash out to 70F
Sparge with 1 gal @ 170 F

Hops
.6 oz Horizon 11.7% alpha, for bittering 70 ibus (@ 60,45,30,15,5) 0.1oz For all but 15 where 0.2 oz added
.2 oz Centennial End of boil hops
.2 oz Centennial Dry hop

Juniper berries
.125 oz. coarsely ground. Add 1/3 to boil at 10 min left, 2/3 @ flame out

Sage
.05 oz sage ( 2/3 @10, 1/3 flame out)

Yeast
1/2 packet Nottingham

Back