Lupulin high from an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a different more relaxed drunk buzz from drinking IPAs all night due to consuming all that wonderful hop goodness?

I've googled on my phone but I've had too much lupulin, lol, to do a real in depth search lol.

It's said that hoppy beers can make you sleepy, but I drink highly hopped beers every evening and I'm no sleepier than when I don't drink highly hopped beers.

I saw a hop pillow somewhere in a hippie store- to help promote sleep. I'd never be able to sleep with hops aroma dancing in my brain. I'd be too busy thinking about beer. :D

when people ask me why they feel more drunk from a homebrew I tell them that hops and marijuana are in the same family and that some people believe that the freshness of the hops in homebrew can cause a "hop euphoria"

but that's just to sound cool. pretty sure more fiction than fact.

Hops (Lupulin) HAVE been used as a sleep aid and anti-spasmodic. Hops also contain phyto-estrogens (female hormone precursors).

IPAs have a higher alcohol content that many beers, and due to the fact they are incredibly tasty and satisfying, you ended up relaxed and intoxicated. :)
Pez.

I agree with the above. However if you had spicy food (especially hot wings, etc) then THOSE could potentially give you a "capsicum high".

MC

capsaicin acts on a heat-activated TRP (pronounced trip) channel, which has nothing to do with euphoric sensations.

the only way i could see eating spicy foods leading to feeling of euphoria is just the intense pain the heat causes, which would lead to release of endogenous opiods, similar to a "runners high." i dont know if this is proven, though

i found this artcile:

A Single Dose Administration of Valerian/Hops Fluid
Extract (Dormeasan) is Found to be Effective
in Improving Sleep

but its in the journal "holistic nursing practice" so take it for what it is.

ill see if i can find anything else, this is kind of interesting, but as far as hops in beer making you more tired, it seems it would be difficult to sperate the effects of alcohol from the effects of hops (if any)

New insight in the neuropharmacological activity of Humulus lupulus L.

this one shows that hop extract increases induced sleeping time, as well as just injection of extracted alpha acids. googlescholar.com should have an abstract available for those that are interested, im not sure if the full PDF is available outside

capsaicin acts on a heat-activated TRP (pronounced trip) channel, which has nothing to do with euphoric sensations.

the only way i could see eating spicy foods leading to feeling of euphoria is just the intense pain the heat causes, which would lead to release of endogenous opiods, similar to a "runners high." i dont know if this is proven, though

I can tell you that every time I eat super spicy chicken wings with a few beers, I get a "pepper buzz". I never knew about it until I looked it up. I don't get the same "buzz" if I had the same beers with other non-spicy food.

MC

I can also attest to the pepper buzz, definitely endorphin related (documented a lot of places too lazy to source lol)

As far as hops go I did a search today turned up mostly drug forums but seems to be something there but lupulin content seems to vary widely.

As said above though as hell if not impossible to differentiate from the effects of alcohol.

Latest posts

Back