Recipe Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panagiotis

Reaction score
Within 4-5 days I will receive some fresh hops in cones that I ordered from Germany (Spalt select, Perle and Tettnanger).:ban:
It seems like a good idea to make a batch before putting them in deep freeze but I am a bit low on special malts as I only have Pills, Crystal (77L), Vienna, smoked malt (2 pounds of that), sauer malt and Roast barley. So I am thinking something like a smoked Lager-style (Nottingham Ale) using Pills as base malt, smoked malt and maybe a little crystal.
I wouldn’t like to mess up the hops taste though as this is only my third all grain batch and this is why am asking for some ideas about the recipe formulation.
I also have some N/B, Cascade, Nugget, Magnum and Columbus in pellets.
My next order really has to concentrate on the special malt issue……..

Thanks in advance!:mug:

Why not brew a nice, malty lager beer? Shoot for something in the German Pilsner style (BJCP 2A). Try a grist of 80% Pils and 20% Vienna. You could decoct, I suppose; at the very least I'd shoot for a step mash, including a protein rest. Bitter with Perle and finish with the Spalt or Tettnanger. Shoot for about 35 IBU. Boil a minimum of 90 minutes to fully remove DMS precursors.

If you use a really clean ale yeast and ferment cool, you can pull this off without a dedicated lagering setup. Worth a shot!

Bob

Back