Thermocouple problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you have a 100 Ohm RTD not a thermocouple, both red leads are connected together in sensor and measurement is between red and white leads. Check the wiring diagram for the PID controller and use the RTD wiring schematic for your sensor hookup and PID setup.

The picture of your PID looks like mine (AUBER SYL-2352) and I am also using an RTD-vs-Thermocouple. If you are using the same PID, then connect the red wires to lugs 3 and 4 (doesn't matter which one goes where) and the white wire to the lug 5.

Cheers!

-Dixon

When i do that though, it registers the temp as 1280 or something like that, is that a wrong hook up or a calibration issue?

Which RTD setup value did you use, there are 2 popular values, 100 OHM(PT100), and 1000 OHM (PT1000). If you have a Ohm meter the resistance at 70 degrees should be either 100 or 1000 ohms. Which PID controller do you have so I can help you with wiring and setup problems that you are having.

Install a 100 ohm resistor across the terminals on the PID then check your PID temp reading provided your wired correctly. A fast simple check with available parts. Heck even those adjustable (I believe only rated 1/4 watt) click stop resistor units with clip leads sold at Radio Shack sure come in handy for those little trouble shooting and electronic building projects.

I recall on this forum or net somewhere that a RTD is more accurate but then costs a little more than a theromcouple.

Looks like you have a PT100 (100 Ohm RTD) sensor, based on the information in the manual the sensor wiring should go:
Red wire #1 to #3 terminal
Red wire #2 to #4 terminal
White wire to #5 terminal

Next step is to go to input selection tag "Sn" and select #21 for the PT100 sensor you have.

An optional step would be to go to the Input offset "Pb" and place probe in ice water then enter positive or negative number to correct the indicated reading.

Back