Organic LME - Northwest/Portland HBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
My sister, the chocolate queen, is looking for a source for organic, Maris Otter or similar quality LME. She only needs about 3 pounds at this point so she can do some testing. She lives in Portland, OR. She would prefer to shop locally. Any ideas

Kilted Brewer said:
FH Steinbarts carries organic grains, not sure about extracts.
234 SE 12th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97214

Are they a pretty good HBS? She mentioned seeing them in the phone book, but had no idea. I also suggested she talk with one of the local breweries ,that she has supplied chocolate to for a beer they do, about getting some first runnings from them and making a reduction from that.

Brewpastor said:
Are they a pretty good HBS? She mentioned seeing them in the phone book, but had no idea. I also suggested she talk with one of the local breweries ,that she has supplied chocolate to for a beer they do, about getting some first runnings from them and making a reduction from that.

That was going to be my suggestion- maybe that would be a good way to get some good LME.

What is her "experiement"? I'd love to hear more about what she's doing with LME in her chocolate.

Brewpastor said:
Are they a pretty good HBS? She mentioned seeing them in the phone book, but had no idea.

Fred Eckhardt recommends them, and I'll take Fred's word over anyone else's when it coems to finding quality ingredients.

TL

Ditto above...and they simply are the best shop in the area, in my opinion. I've been to shops in the area that had double lives as video rental stores. This is a dedicated shop with very knowledgeable staff. Not always the best prices, but it's local, and I support local as much as possible.

YooperBrew said:
That was going to be my suggestion- maybe that would be a good way to get some good LME.

What is her "experiement"? I'd love to hear more about what she's doing with LME in her chocolate.

Sarah has a shop, Alma chocolate, and she make lots of specialty chololated. She is planning to blend the malt in with the chocolate, not exactly a malt ball, but I would guess some of the same flavor. I was suggesting she experiment with flavor and aroma hops. She uses rosemary and other herbs in some of her creams. I think a dark chocolate, malt and Cascade cream would be great. Let the dark chocolate add the bitterness, the malt add the sweetness and the hops provide the spicy/floral/citrus tones.

But for now she is working on the malt side. I think she is going to start with light malt and see haow that goes. Any dark malt might get in the way of the chocolates character.

FH Steinbarts is a craft brewing supplier, that sells to homebrewers (and hosts most of the OBC meetings). If they don't have it, they can order it.

david_42 said:
FH Steinbarts is a craft brewing supplier, that sells to homebrewers (and hosts most of the OBC meetings). If they don't have it, they can order it.

Cool. I called Sarah and told her that was the place and she said it is close to her. Thank you one and all!

Alamo_Beer said:
Why not just mash some organic grains?

She isn't a brewer and doesn't want to mess with that, plus I guess she wants the wort to be pretty thick, as water and cocoa don't go together very well.

Rev -

The organic extract sold by Northern Brewer comes from Briess. See here for a PDF of the product. She's presumably got a business, so if this experiment takes off, she can buy direct in bulk, I'd think.

It's a thought! Buy direct in bulk, save some dosh!

Bob

BobNQ3X said:
Rev -

The organic extract sold by Northern Brewer comes from Briess. See here for a PDF of the product. She's presumably got a business, so if this experiment takes off, she can buy direct in bulk, I'd think.

It's a thought! Buy direct in bulk, save some dosh!

Bob

Cool and thanks. Yes, she has a business. I think she will want to go organic in the end, but for now she just wants to get the specifics of working with malt down. I will keep the Breiss material on file. I think it would be an easy way for her to go.

-Tom

FH Steinbarts is a nice store. I've only been in it once, but I like the cut of their jib. They have all manner of organic grains there, I'd bet they can procure some organic LME for her. Especially if she mentions she has a business and would be buying it in bulk :D

My LHBS is Let's Brew, near 82nd and Stark, www.letsbrew.net but the only organic malt they have is in grain form. I love them and I'd bet they'd be willing to order some organic LME for her too, if nothing else for some bidding wars for her business ;)

I'm also a sucker for chocolate, I'd be willing to mash some malt up for her in trade. muahahahaa

I have been to both stores Steinbarts and Let's Brew both have great people and selection.

Back