"Dark beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
When I do my missionary work for drinking good beer one response I get a lot is "I don't like dark beer." My response is to say that there is really no such thing as "dark beer", there are beers that are dark in color but there is no category as "dark beer". Am I correct? I know that stouts and porters etc. are all very dark but isn't that just describing the color of the beer/ale and not the style, flavor, strength etc.

Maybe they're good, upstanding citizens don't care for beer that is black of heart?

Interestingly, Schwarzbier is a dark lager made like a pilsner, then colored with sinamar, which is basically food coloring.

Afaik, the color, srm, lovibond, whatever you may call it is just solely the color. Although generally a darker beer has more adjunct malts which tend to be not as fully ferment able, so it can while not an absolute indicator, indicate a fuller bodied beers. Of course there are dark adjuncts that behave in an opposite way, like dark candi sugar. Ime dark beers may not be a heavier beer, but they do have a tendency to be maltier, sweeter, and or fuller bodied. None of those being completely mutually exclusive.

You can make any light beer dark, these are just general tendencies. Most IPAs aren't exceptionally dark but there are some.

That's the thing....people who say "I don't like dark beer" really mean "I don't like HEAVY beer."

My SWMBO is one of these. No matter how much I explain that color doesn't always equate to how heavy the beer's body is, she won't drink anything that has an SRM over a lighter brown. She loves IPAs, yet won't touch a black IPA.

Whatever.....People are silly like that. There's no accounting for taste (except maybe decades of indoctrinating BMC advertising).

Usually when people think dark beer they are thinking about beers with roasty flavors like stouts or amber lagers. I don't think there is an aversion to the color.

The mentality of only drinking light beers is a historic relic of the switch from stoneware mugs to glass, when glass drinking cups became cheap and plentiful. That's also when porters went out of style, and nearly went extinct.

I once had a lady tell me she didn't like dark beer. I asked her what dark beers she had and she said Heineken...

Huh?

"Well if you set a Heineken next to a Bud Light it's darker!"

That's like saying "I don't like sandwiches" There are so many effing kinds, how can you say that??????IS YOU A RACIST?!?!??!?!??!?!;)

I once had a lady tell me she didn't like dark beer. I asked her what dark beers she had and she said Heineken...

Huh?

She doesn't like Heinekin....OK...and she is legally blind OR she doesn't have the brains that gawd gave a brian damaged mole-rat.

That's like saying "I don't like sandwiches" There are so many effing kinds, how can you say that??????IS YOU A RACIST?!?!??!?!??!?!;)

She doesn't like Heinekin....OK...and she is legally blind OR she doesn't have the brains that gawd gave a brian damaged mole-rat.

Some people around here have a VERY limited definition of what beer is.

The current Weight Watchers commercial annoys the crap out of me because they have a guy who says confidently, "Now I know the difference between light & dark beer" when referring to which is better/worse for your health. I could brew a 4.5% Stout that would be way better for you than a 12% Barleywine, even though the Barleywine would be much lighter. It makes me want to throw my remote at the TV!

This just goes to show how many people need to be educated on beer so they can differentiate between light/dark vs light/heavy.

The current Weight Watchers commercial annoys the crap out of me because they have a guy who says confidently, "Now I know the difference between light & dark beer" when referring to which is better/worse for your health. I could brew a 4.5% Stout that would be way better for you than a 12% Barleywine, even though the Barleywine would be much lighter. It makes me want to throw my remote at the TV!

This just goes to show how many people need to be educated on beer so they can differentiate between light/dark vs light/heavy.

THAT EFFING SUCKS!!!!! Haven't seen that crap or I would be tempted to sue. Dark unfiltered beer has more antioxidants than red wine (or so I read).

Going to go burn down a building.

Huh?

hein_03.jpg

I used to say that in college. Except I said I'd preferred "dark beer." Which I have since realized means anything besides BMC Lights. :D

Turn off the lights when you drink it and it all tastes...GOOD! :)

I was about to correlate that to sex but that may derail this train! :p

Jayhem said:

Haha laughed my ass off in the middle of a packed lecture hall when I read this

Jayhem said:

Laughed my ass of in the middle of a packed physics lecture hall when I read this

Ha, sex, train and getting derailed..they seem like contradicting ideas, at least the sex and train in conjunction with "derailed"

Back