Batch Sparge, Sparge questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huge1s

Reaction score
I use the batch sparge method and had a question regarding the sparge(s). When you add your sparge water, do you let it sit? or varlouf and drain right away? I have been letting it sit for 10-15 minutes for each sparge. I usually have to divide my sparge water in two because my mash tun is slightly too small to handle a single sparge. Is there any ill effects from letting it sit before draining? Is there an efficiency hit if I drain right away?

Most report no change in efficiency at all if you drain right away. I've always stirred it in rather aggressively for a full 3 minute, vorlauf and drain right away. I mean, it's not a race, but there's very little to be gained from letting it sit unless your crush is extremely coarse and it takes a little more time to diffuse and equalize.

You're going to get all kinds of answers on this. I stir mine and let it sit a bit just so things will settle out. Works a little better on my system. You'll just have to experiment a bit and see what works best for you.

I usually let it sit for about 5-10 to let the grain settle. I don't know if it's necessary. I started this when I had to heat both sparge water separately. The 10 minutes gave the second sparge water time to heat up. Once you get a good vorlauf going, letting the grain settle might be an unnecessary step.

I usually let it sit unless I don't :)

Basically it all depends on how I feel that day.

Well the purpose of sparging is to rinse the grains of the sugar; so in my mind it would be better to try and keep a flow going as much as possible to knock the sugars off of the grains. The more rinsing power without disturbing the grain bed would be the best IMO.

I will experiment a little on my next batch. I haven't heard anything in regards to negative effects of letting it sit. I thought that perhaps the high temp of the sparge water might cause some ill effects if left sitting.

Well..... thanks for the advice. Now what am I going to do with that extra 20-30 minutes? I am thinking something beer related :)

Well, I let mine sit a bit just so the mud will settle a little. I mash in a 48 quart rectangular cooler and the grain bed isn't normally very deep (unless I'm doing an IPA). Helps to get a clearer runoff. That's why I said it depends on your system.

I probably should use a round, tall cooler, but I use what I have.

Back