gravity reading and transfer question!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsbubmalty

Reaction score
ive waited a week and i want to take a gravity reading...but i was wondering if i can transfer my beer into my bucket out of my carboy cause id like to brew another beer and i want to use my carboy....would it be ok to do this?or should i just wait...or maybe even just use my bucket....

Yes, you can transfer, but I would recommend just using your bucket. May I ask why you want to use your carboy as opposed to the bucket? The thing is, the more you transfer your beer, the bigger chance you run of getting it infected. Just my two pennies.

I am guessing to don't have a thief and a graduated cylinder. Take a reading in your carboy and if it has hit its FG then you can transfer to your bucket and bottle but you want to limit the exposure of the beer to oxygen. I personally would leave it for at least another week even if it has hit its FG.

I feel your pain hopsbub, but the bucket is the way to go. I'm in the same boat with a 6 gal better bottle and a bucket. I use the carboy when I can, but sometimes the bucket is the only thing available unless I need to rack.

Back