Suggestions for my next brew, again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas again - but I'm a little more focused this time around... It's about time to get another brew started, as evidenced by the fact that SWMBO asked me last night what I'll be doing next - her subtle hint to get moving! :mug:

Anyway, we've both tried a few beers lately that were hoppier than those we've enjoyed in the past; in each case they were fairly easy on the bittering hops, but heavier on the flavoring hops. One example was a BBC Cabin Fever - BBC says it's only 20 IBU's, but uses (IIRC) Tattenanger hops to produce a nice citrusy flavor. I just had a raging ***** last night - really nice beer, only 60 IBU's, but lots of flavor to it - and I think the belgian yeast gave it a nice profile to back up the hops too.

So, I'm looking for suggestions along either of these lines. I'll be brewing from extract, so keep that in mind. But I'm thinking something along the lines of an amber with a nice hop profile - definitely not over the top on the bitterness, but I also don't want to get too carried away with the flavoring hops either. Also, I'm not equipped yet for lagers around this time of year, so those will have to wait. I'm open to suggestions of specific kits with tweaks or full-on recipes - I'll be poring through the recipes side of this site in the meantime.

I've always been a big fan of Fat Tire. I've made a clone of it a few months ago, but added some extra hops to give it that extra kick. Not to mention, I bumped up the abv an extra 1.5%

I strongly recommend try the West Coast Pale Ale from Austin Home Brew. I cut the bittering hops in half and that gave me 28 IBU's. Just enough bitter for my tastes. It also has great flavor. It's been my favorite so far.

Latest posts

Back