Help, When I crack the valve on my CO2 tank it blows the pressure relief valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I have the screw turned all the way counter clockwise. When I just barely crack the valve, it pegs the "low" Pressure gauge and blows the safety valve. The high pressure gauge barley comes off the peg.

This system is brand new. Any suggestions?

What regulator did you buy?

It sounds like they assembled it wrong. Sounds like all of the regulator ports are right hand threaded and they put the CO² inlet on the low pressure side. (In other words - they rotated the regulator body 90° from where it should have been.

Picture of it would be great to see if that is what is going on.

Another possibility is if the regulator diaphram is bad or installed improperly.

It's from Keg Connection.

Looking at the back side the port:

9:00 is labeled "HI" and that's where the tank connects.
12:00 is labeled "LOW" and a 60 PSI gauge is there.
Then a relief valve at 1:00
3:00 is labeled "HI" and a 2000 PSI gauge is there.
6:00 is labeled "LOW" and the hose is there.

I can see the spring compressing and decompressing but about halfway out there is no tension.

Regulators are different than valves. All the way clockwise = all the way open. Back off the screw all the way, open the valve on the tank, then "tighten" down the screw on the regulator to raise the pressure.

Regulators are different than valves. All the way clockwise = all the way open. Back off the screw all the way, open the valve on the tank, then "tighten" down the screw on the regulator to raise the pressure.

[clears throat]

First words of original post "I have the screw turned all the way counter clockwise"

Sounds like you could have gotten a faulty regulator. I'd call the guys at KC, they're very helpful and will take care of you whatever it takes.

Sounds like you could have gotten a faulty regulator. I'd call the guys at KC, they're very helpful and will take care of you whatever it takes.

Right, :rolleyes: so far, no response to my e-mail. And when I called, whoever took my call wanted to be sure of the problem and was suppose to call back. No call. When I called back I got the answering machine. I left a message and a call back number, no call yet. This may take a while to correct.

Wow. called them back today, put me on hold 10 min, then hung up on me. Not very friendly. I hope I can get this regulator fixed.

Back