dry hopping and oaking a chocolate stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
so... in a few days i am going to brew a chocolate stout (o.g. 1056) and have never dry hopped or oaked a chocolate beer before. i have brewed stouts before that i have dry hopped but never on a chocolate stout. i am trying to imagine if the hop aroma would complement the chocolate, and if so how aromatic do i really want this beer to be. the game plan right now is to oak it with american oak cubes, giving it a subtle oakiness that will help add complexity to the aroma as well as the taste. do you guys think that this beer could benefit from dry hopping or should i just leave it alone? bear in mind that i am a hop head.

I brewed up a couple of gallons of Mayfield's Message using Creamy Brown extract, Saaz hops, brewed espresso and mocha chocolate. If I can't make up my mind on whether I want a coffee or a beer, I just reach for a Mayfield's Message and I'm good.

I also brewed up a batch of St. Pat's Irish Stout where I added 1/2 teaspoon of mocha powder to each 1 litre bottle. A friend told me how much she liked a chocolate stout she had in NYC, so I tried to recreate it, I'll be drinking it this weekend to see how it came out.

Screwy Brewer

In all honesty the dry hopping doesn't sound good at all. If you really want to try it, I'd split the batch or pull off a gallon and dry hop that. I am curious to see how this turns out if you do it, so let us know. :mug:

Back