Never made wine but made tons of beer, have questions on the Orange Blossom Riesling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a recipe in the latest Zymurgy on page 42 I want to make for my folks as they love Riesling. They mention sorbate, then back sweeten to 1.020, fine then bottle.

I'm not sure what they mean by sorbate and fine and lastly where would I be able to get 6 gallons of fresh Riesling juice? I've never crushed grapes so I was hoping I could just buy the fresh juice. Any hints would be welcomed.

TIA...

Potassium Metabisulphite will stop the fermentation, and Potassium Sorbate will prevent renewed fermentation. Using these will stop your fermentation and allow you to back sweeten without allowing the yeast to convert the sugar you're adding to sweeten the wine.

"where would I be able to get 6 gallons of fresh Riesling juice?"

You might want to try a place like http://www.northernbrewer.com/
They sell wine making kits with all the nutrients and juice for 5 gallons. I believe they might sell just juice too?

Potassium Metabisulphite will stop the fermentation, and Potassium Sorbate will prevent renewed fermentation. Using these will stop your fermentation and allow you to back sweeten without allowing the yeast to convert the sugar you're adding to sweeten the wine.

metabisulphite will not stop the fermentation of your primary wine yeast. It may kill off wild yeast and bacteria that you don't want. Think of it more as a sanitizer for the must. The sorbate will stop fermentation and prevent renewed fermentation.

Another option for juice is using Alexander's concentrates. They suggest 2 -46oz cans for 5gallons of wine.

Back