Formulating my first recipe v.Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
Ok so i've decided to formulate my first recipe for a Hefe-Weisse. Just wondering if this looks ok to you guys.

6#German wheat malt
4#German pilsner malt(2-row)
.5#Carapils

All Hallertauer hop addition

.5oz @60min
.5oz @15min
.5oz @5min
.5oz @1min(flameout)

Edit: White Labs WLP380

I think it looks like it'll be fine but i have no idea being that this is my first recipe formulation and it is also my first wheat AG brew any help/suggestions would be appreciated :rockin:

Ok so i've decided to formulate my first recipe for a Hefe-Weisse. Just wondering if this looks ok to you guys.

6#German wheat malt
4#German pilsner malt(2-row)
.5#Carapils

All Hallertauer hop addition

.5oz @60min
.5oz @15min
.5oz @5min
.5oz @1min(flameout)

I think it looks like it'll be fine but i have no idea being that this is my first recipe formulation and it is also my first wheat AG brew any help/suggestions would be appreciated :rockin:

I try to keep the wheat to 50% or less and the hops at only a single bittering addition. You only need about 15 IBU to balance the beer. Too much hops can really overpower the flavor from the yeast.

To give you a comparison here is the recipe I use:
6 lb Pilsner
3 lb White wheat malt
3 lb Pale wheat malt
1 oz Hallertau at 60 min

I try to keep the wheat to 50% or less and the hops at only a single bittering addition. You only need about 15 IBU to balance the beer. Too much hops can really overpower the flavor from the yeast.

To give you a comparison here is the recipe I use:
6 lb Pilsner
3 lb White wheat malt
3 lb Pale wheat malt
1 oz Hallertau at 60 min
The hop additions listed only equal out to 13.8IBU according to beersmith. I assumed the three later additions would add to aroma and not so much on the bittering side.

The hop additions listed only equal out to 13.8IBU according to beersmith. I assumed the three later additions would add to aroma and not so much on the bittering side.

Hefeweizen typically don't have much if any hop aroma or flavor. All the flavor comes from the malt and the yeast. The hops are there just to provide some bitterness to balance out the malt.

+1 on less hops

But there's no problem with the amount of wheat malt. It has just as much diastatic power as 2-row. Carapils isn't necessary, though; the wheat malt will provide plenty of body and head retention. Try a little bit of a lower crystal malt, munich malt, or even 0.25# of honey malt for funsies.

+1 on less hops

But there's no problem with the amount of wheat malt. It has just as much diastatic power as 2-row. Carapils isn't necessary, though; the wheat malt will provide plenty of body and head retention. Try a little bit of a lower crystal malt, munich malt, or even 0.25# of honey malt for funsies.
Ok thats actually what i was thinking, maybe a .5# of munich to replace the cara-pils.

As far as the hops go, beersmith calculates my hop additions as being 13.8 IBU's
is this incorrect? Because it seems to me like it should be fine.

Ok thats actually what i was thinking, maybe a .5# of munich to replace the cara-pils.

As far as the hops go, beersmith calculates my hop additions as being 13.8 IBU's
is this incorrect? Because it seems to me like it should be fine.

13.8 IBU will work. Anywhere in between 8-15 works well. I would just cut back on the 15, 5, and 1 min additions a bit. Check out some of the recipes in the recipe section.

13.8 IBU will work. Anywhere in between 8-15 works well. I would just cut back on the 15, 5, and 1 min additions a bit. Check out some of the recipes in the recipe section.
But like i said, the 15, 5, and 1, were meant to be aroma additions basically. Beersmith calculates my hop additions @ 13.8. Is this incorrect?

Back