Does Silicone "Go Bad"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I siliconed a PVC fitting around my electric element connection on my keggle this morning. The silicone is still runny! Shouldn't it have at least stiffen by now? Is it possible this stuff went bad? I've had it for about a year.

Yes it can and will go bad,, most have around a year lifespan if un opened..
you'll need to get all the old stuff off completely clean as silicone dosent stick to it self very well,, try brake clean or carb/choke cleaner and wiping it off

Yes it can and will go bad,, most have around a year lifespan if un opened..
you'll need to get all the old stuff off completely clean as silicone dosent stick to it self very well,, try brake clean or carb/choke cleaner and wiping it off

Oh WOW! good to know. I was fixing to pull the trigger and order some silicone tubing. I've been kicking the idea of having my single tier system using 1/2" hard copper for transfer of hot water and wort. But.... if silicone tubing doesn't have a good lifespan then it's a no-brainer.

My Silicone tubing is still fine well after a year, and about 20 batches. The tubing/o-rings don't go bad like the sealant does.

I hate it when a reply to a post happens before I see it, making mine look incredibly redundant. :p

:drunk: :D Ha, they're referring to liquid (uncured) silicone. Cured silicone will easily last 25+ years.

OOps! my bad! guess this is what happens when you've got more than one page opened to HBT and trying to do a search and post some replies. After looking at the OP I can honestly say it was definitely NOT one of my better moments. Thanks lamarguy for catching the F**kup.

:D

Back