easy start simple siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
has any body used one of these?
siphondeal.jpg

http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/
I just broke 2 auto-siphons in 2 weeks, after my first one lasted 3 years.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but if you're already having to shell out $$ repeatedly for siphoning equipment...have you considered just biting the bullet and installing a bulkhead and valve on your kettle? One-time purchase, not that expensive, not that hard to install, and will make your life a lot easier. Now that I have one, I'd never go back.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but if you're already having to shell out $$ repeatedly for siphoning equipment...have you considered just biting the bullet and installing a bulkhead and valve on your kettle? One-time purchase, not that expensive, not that hard to install, and will make your life a lot easier. Now that I have one, I'd never go back.

I do have this on my kettle.

I am in need of the siphon to go from my carboy to my kegs.

I do have this on my kettle.

I am in need of the siphon to go from my carboy to my kegs.
I've always just used the carboy cap method. Put the racking cane through one opening and blow into the other to start the siphon. Works like a charm.

has any body used one of these?
siphondeal.jpg

http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/
I just broke 2 auto-siphons in 2 weeks, after my first one lasted 3 years.

I just got one of these for the same reason. The plastic in the autosiphon is just too flimsy.

The only problem I saw with this thing is that the hose is a little short...nothing an extension won't fix.

I've always just used the carboy cap method. Put the racking cane through one opening and blow into the other to start the siphon. Works like a charm.

I did this for years with no problems or infections. The only problem is when the siphon stops for some reason and the carboy is not full it really takes some sucking (or blowing depending on which way you go) to get it going again. Got light headed a few times...

I would personally stick with the auto siphon. They are remotely cheap and easy to use. If you break one once a year it still, in my eyes, is not a bad investment.

I can't really tell from that animated demo in that link but it looks like there is some splashing to get the thing started. Not good.

FWIW, I use a plain ole SS racking cane with 3/8" ID tubing (which is ~1/2" OD). Then I use a short piece of 1/2" ID tubing that I sanitize along with the racking cane and tubing. Just slide a little of the 3/8" tubing into the 1/2" tubing. Suck on the 1/2" tubing (the tubes ID/OD will seal well enough to get it going) and then quickly separate. And as mentioned above, DO NOT let it lose prime. I have two auto-siphons, both used just a few times and have collected dust since. Creature of habit I guess.

Anybody just use a "T" inline?

Just add a "T" conector and a lenth of tubing in the middle of you racking hose. Pinch the hose on the empty side, suck and release, then either pinch or keep the end of the added on hose above the carboy to prevent loss.

Yah I bought an assembled unit for $6.00 from the borg.

Works great so long as you don't have crap to clog it up
Get stuff stuck in the little ball's chamber and it doesn't work.

Anybody just use a "T" inline?

Just add a "T" conector and a lenth of tubing in the middle of you racking hose. Pinch the hose on the empty side, suck and release, then either pinch or keep the end of the added on hose above the carboy to prevent loss.

Flyguy has a nice write up on the t idea somewhere around here.

Back