When does the beer start tasting good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be the only non-sniffer, but I admit to watching the primary fermentation. (It's much better than TV.) Watching the secondary is about as good as TV.

-a.

feedthebear said:
Yeah! Airlock shots!:drunk:

I make that joke yesterday and last night the krausing rose up and pushed all the vodka out of my airlock. Had to sanitize a new airlock and clean the floor at 6am.

At least the fermenter was still pushing CO2 out this morning, so I'm not too worried about contamination.

Damn karma.:(

At least I get to buy a new bottle of vodka this weekend ... for brewing and stuff.

My name is Lorena, and I'm an airlock sniffer.......

and I taste test while racking to secondary, and before bottling. I've even tasted it from the primary. I watch it in the secondary- I watch it clear. I guess I need help.

So far, no messes to clean up. No bottle bombs, no primary explosions, so krausen through the airlock (maybe just a tiny bit). I guess I've been lucky so far.

While we are all outing ourselves. I too am an air lock sniffer...... this is not a plea for help.... I love sniffing my airlocks and I will continue to do it. No matter what THEY say. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaahahahahahaha

I'm an airlock sniffer too. Sometimes I like to run 2 airlocks on the same brew to get double the sniffing pleasure.

Actually, I have sniffed quite frequently every brew I've done, and I taste the brew at every stage from wort to bottling, and a couple bottles worth from bottling to finished, aged product.

Recently, I've been sniffing other people's airlocks.

My name is Warren, I too am a Sniffer. I guess I have been a sniffer for 15 years now, and I have to tell you it is one of the hardest habits to quit. I know they say you have to remove yourself from familiar surroundings, but I hear it calling me back (gurgle gulup, gurgle gulup) and next thing you know I am on the floor sniffing away. It has gotten so bad I sneak sniff while my wife is in the kitchen I am in the hall sniffing away. I hit a real low the other night though, my 3 year old son caught me. Now he too is a sniffer.

Man it feels good to talk about this.....

- WW

mew said:
Recently, I've been sniffing other people's airlocks.

It is hard to top that....LMAO. My primaries are always in the bathtub with the curtin drawn. I always use a blow off tube therefor the whole bathroom smells like fermenting beer. Nothing better than waking up with a cup of coffee and doing your duty in a fermenting enviroment....bloop...blooop...bloop. Hell of a way to start the day.......OK I am wierd

Yeah, I got an answer. But I forgot what it was...oh yeah! Beer may taste good or bad in all of its stages before proper aging has taken place, depending principally on how much of an alcoholic the taster is.

pmcquain said:
I found myself just sitting on my closet floor looking at my fermenter and enjoying the sights/sounds of yeast going at it. I remember thinking "man, I must be a nerd, I'm sitting on the floor watching beer ferment". Glad to see I'm not alone.:drunk:

-pete-

Uh-huh! Im glad I read this thread too! Sniff sniff.. :tank:

Dammit, I just racked my 2nd batch and I never sniffed it or the first one. I did taste at every stage, though. Guess I'll have to go get makings for another (that hazelnut stout looks good) and see what all the hubbub is about.

Future Sniffers of the World - UNITE!!!
-Andy

pmcquain said:
I found myself just sitting on my closet floor looking at my fermenter and enjoying the sights/sounds of yeast going at it. I remember thinking "man, I must be a nerd, I'm sitting on the floor watching beer ferment". Glad to see I'm not alone.:drunk:

-pete-

No, you ar not alone. I inhale, er...sniff, and I like to watch.

Back