Erlenmeyer Flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksuit

Reaction score
I decided it'd be a good idea to get a erlenmeyer for starters, but I've got two questions: How big? is 2L more than enough, and where can I get one, either through an online retailer that won't kill me on shipping or what type of brick and mortar store would have one?

Also is there any alternative? Like a big jar with a airlock hole cut in it and properly sealed? I mean I don't see myself getting a stir plate and magnetic stirrers anytime soon.

I recently got a 2L (and stirbar) from Brewmaster's Warehouse. Most starters for me are around 1.5L (with stirplate). His prices were close enough to other inexpensive online places that shipping made the difference (i.e. I had ingredients coming anyway).

Prior to my stirplate, I did very successful starters in 1 gallon water jugs. Just sanitize it well and shake it often to keep things aerated/suspended. The trick is with the cap: keep the cap sitting on top, but not "clicked" on so that pressure can escape. When you shake, click the cap on, shake, then quickly uncap to release pressure.

I've also successfully made starters in growlers, 2l soda bottles (although not on the stirplate), empty Jack Daniels bottles, mason jars, and vases. Any relatively flat-bottomed vessel will work fine with a stirplate, although some more so than others.

The advantage of a Erlenmeyer flask is that you can make the starter wort directly in the flask, if your starters use extract.

Huh, funny thing is I'm actually in Atlanta, and therefore unable to order from Brewmaster's which looks like a great site. For whatever reason that can't ship to the state they're in, even though they're just a few miles away from me. Now it looks like stir plates are out of my price range, can't I just use Flasks on a stove top w/a ceramic tile? The gallon jug/mason jar option actually sounds best, I don't really have to worry about contamination if I just sanitize properly right?

What type of stove heating element do you have? Natural gas, electric coil, electric ceramic, etc. From what I've read you can't put an erlenmeyer directly on an electric coil as the heat distribution on them is not great. You need something like a pot between the coil and the flask to distribute the heat.

I use a 2L erlenmeyer for just about all my starters. I'm looking to get a 5L one eventually for lagers, 10 gallon batches and very high gravity ales. Also, I would highly recommend getting some Fermcap-S with whatever container you choose to boil in so that boil overs are not an issue. Boiling without it in a erlenmeyer is a MAJOR PITA.

I have made 2 starters now using a sanitized 1 quart canning jar (Mason). I boiled 2 cups of water and added about 1/2 cup of dry extract. Chilled it in the pot with the lid on it by placing it in the sink filled with about 3 inches of cold water. Takes only a minute or two to get it to pitching temp. Poured the wort into the jar and sealed it. Shook it up for a minute to aerate it and then pitched my yeast. Then I placed plastic wrap over the top with a semi-loose rubber band to keep it in place. The rubber band should be tight to prevent the wrap from coming off but loose enough to allow the CO2 to escape. I've let it sit out at room temp for up to 2 days before using. If you can't brew within 48hrs of pitching decant (pour) off some of the wort and mix a new batch, chill and pour onto your yeast cake. Shake to aerate and cover. This will buy you anout 24-48 hours.

2L will suit most beer. Its really convenient to be able to boil in the starter vessel.

For stirplates, I HIGHLY recommend StirStarters.com. A very affordable stirplate for homebrewing. He is actually a vendor here at HBT too. If you check out Ebay, you can probably pick one up for a little cheaper than the website. You can also pick up a flask through him too. Its a few bucks more than BMW or other online places, but I don't think $5 will break the bank. You might check if there are lab supply stores in your area. Your LHBS might carry flasks too.

One word of caution: if you buy a stirplate, you must use a flask. The stirbar needs a flat bottomed vessel to work. Growlers and other glass containers aren't flat enough and will throw the bar.

One word of caution: if you buy a stirplate, you must use a flask. The stirbar needs a flat bottomed vessel to work. Growlers and other glass containers aren't flat enough and will throw the bar.

This is not always the case. It depends on how a particular stir plate is designed and built. The type of stir bar also makes a difference. The stir plates I build can be used with growlers or even gallon jugs. I prefer the flasks as you cannot boil the wort directly in the growlers or jugs.

Wow, I like that he gives instructions on how to build your own if you want. I had been planning on making a stir plate, but I might buy one from him since he knows what he's doing :)

With a little googling and some calls you may be able to find a lab supply store in your area. I called maybe 10 places to track down a good deal on a 2L flask. I eventually found that www.bluesprucescientific.com was selling bomex 2L flasks for $9. It turns out they have a warehouse that is only 10 minutes away. I called them up and was able to pick it up from their warehouse.

With a little googling and some calls you may be able to find a lab supply store in your area. I called maybe 10 places to track down a good deal on a 2L flask. I eventually found that www.bluesprucescientific.com was selling bomex 2L flasks for $9. It turns out they have a warehouse that is only 10 minutes away. I called them up and was able to pick it up from their warehouse.

i found these on their site... http://www.bluesprucescientific.com/proddetail.php?prod=LW05070201/07

are all glass flasks safe to put directly on a gas stove?

Not all of them.. but those are. Borosilicate glass is perfect, though. It does not expand as much as other types of glass with temperature, so it is less likely to crack. Those are great prices, I'm probably going to pick up a 3L flask from there... 14 bucks!

Wow! Those are the best prices I've seen anywhere for flasks. I just might have to buy a 5 liter or maybe two. I have not checked the shipping rates, but the flasks aren't very heavy and it can't be too much. The 5 liter is only $26.49. I've paid $18.95 for 2 liter flasks locally. Theirs are half that. Good deal.

I didn't realize how great of a deal they were until this thread. I might have to pick up one of those 5 liter flasks too.

It's pretty reasonable- $7 for one, $9.50 for two (of the 5L ones.) I'm wondering whether I should actually get a two liter and a five liter, instead of the 3L one... then I could easily do step-up starters. HMMMMM.

I decided it'd be a good idea to get a erlenmeyer for starters, but I've got two questions: How big? is 2L more than enough, and where can I get one, either through an online retailer that won't kill me on shipping or what type of brick and mortar store would have one?

Also is there any alternative? Like a big jar with a airlock hole cut in it and properly sealed? I mean I don't see myself getting a stir plate and magnetic stirrers anytime soon.

A 4 L starter will kick off any ale within normal limits, so since you are not going to get a stir plate soon, do your staters in a 1 gallon jug of your choice. Put a plug of cotton in the mouth which has been submerged in alcohol or star-san. when you pass by the jug, give it a swirl. Let it ferment out, then decant ( throw away) the thin liquid and pitch (pour out) the yeast into your wort. Not as good as a stir plate, but very effecive. :)

I'd been looking to get a couple of flasks and beakers, so I just placed an order. I'll try to remember to report back when I get them. Thanks jarrman!

A 4 L starter will kick off any ale within normal limits, so since you are not going to get a stir plate soon, do your staters in a 1 gallon jug of your choice. Put a plug of cotton in the mouth which has been submerged in alcohol or star-san. when you pass by the jug, give it a swirl. Let it ferment out, then decant ( throw away) the thin liquid and pitch (pour out) the yeast into your wort. Not as good as a stir plate, but very effecive. :)

I did it that way for several years with excellent results. Actually, it's darn near as good as a stir plate, but not as quick. I can typically get a starter to finish out in as little as 24 hours using a stir plate. Without one it was more like three days and somewhat less yeast slurry, but not a huge difference in yield.

Ok, the glassware got here today. The Bomex flasks are are noticeably cheaper made than my Pyrex flasks. There are some imperfections in all of them that could potentially cause problems. I went ahead and made a starter in the 2L flask, and everything went very well, no functional difference than using the Pyrex branded glassware. For the price, I'm not complaining at all, and a very quick turn around, ordered late Monday night and received them on Thursday.

Ok, the glassware got here today. The Bomex flasks are are noticeably cheaper made than my Pyrex flasks. There are some imperfections in all of them that could potentially cause problems. I went ahead and made a starter in the 2L flask, and everything went very well, no functional difference than using the Pyrex branded glassware. For the price, I'm not complaining at all, and a very quick turn around, ordered late Monday night and received them on Thursday.

what kind of imperfections?

Most appear to be minor pits in the surface. They could be air bubbles as well, it's hard to tell for sure and I don't have a loupe or anything. The 5L one does have a line up on the neck, I have no idea what that is. It doesn't appear to be a crack.

I don't tend to be too hard on them. Heating and cooling gently, I don't expect them to give me problems, but if they do, I'll report back. The 2L one already survived making a starter (heated gently on a gas stove, then into a warm water bath with cold water running to cool it slowly).

What type of stove heating element do you have? Natural gas, electric coil, electric ceramic, etc. From what I've read you can't put an erlenmeyer directly on an electric coil as the heat distribution on them is not great. You need something like a pot between the coil and the flask to distribute the heat.

Is this true? I've done three or four starters in my e-flask on my coil stove with no problems. Am I taking my life in my own hands?

Well I ordered a 5L and a 3L from bluesprucescientific.com on Monday, and after getting a confirmation email I haven't been able to get a tracking number(also my CC hasn't been charged). So I looked at their site and they've upped the price on all the flasks. I'm hoping they don't pretend they never got my order.

You can check your order by hitting the account link in the upper right.

Prices look like they're more in line with other places now. Too bad.

LOL. That's funny. I think they got a deluge of HBT orders. Ran out & realized their prices were way to cheap. I got two 2-liters & a 3-liter. With shipping for less than $40. My 3-liter is backordered. By the time they ship that seperate they likely won't make much off my order.

that's exactly it. I sent a email asking for a tracking number and they said it would ship next Wednesday. They said in the last two weeks they have had more orders for large flasks than they have had the whole year. Now I wished I had bought more. How well, there will be more slickdeals in the future.

For anyone interested: check out http://www.agile-fx.com/servlet/StoreFront

The glassware is cheaper than Cynmar.com

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just bought a 5L flasks and the bottom of the flasks have imperfections. The first one I had received has a small air bubble. I called and mentioned this to them and they sent out a replacement but the new one has pits and what looks like a glass chip on the bottom on the inside of the flask.

I'm already worried that I cant boil in these but wanted to hear some other thoughts. Am i worried about nothing? Should I boil in these?

I have a cheap 5L flask that I have noticed has a couple minor imperfections. I have made a few starters in this already and not yet had an issue. At 35 bucks at my LHBS compared to 100+ for the lab grade ones (even my SWMBO's lab only has a single 5L flask), I figured I can go through 3 of them for the same price.

If you're comfortable taking the risks associated, go ahead.

Biggest risk with the thinner ones are being more fragile and susceptible to thermal shock. Just ease the temp variations and I think you are likely to be ok.

Thanks, the glass seems pretty think but I'm worried that the rapid temp changes will "bring out the bad" in the flask. Do yo think that the chips or the bubble will be a problem or just a potential problem.

The last thing I want it to shatter a starter all over the floor.

Thanks, the glass seems pretty think but I'm worried that the rapid temp changes will "bring out the bad" in the flask. Do yo think that the chips or the bubble will be a problem or just a potential problem.

The last thing I want it to shatter a starter all over the floor.

Any imperfections will obviously be a source of potential structural/strength failures. Just try not to go from no heat to full blast burner and directly from burner to ice water bath... Give the flask a minute or 2 for the heat to distribute before ramping temps up or down...

Back