So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really interesting recipe. The 124f Protein Rest caught my eye. This seems rare in today's recipes. Can anyone explain why this particular recipe would have that?

My limited understanding is that it is due to the terrified wheat. What I've seen is that for unmalted grain it is advisable.

The CSI recipes seem to be well thought out and researched/tested, I'm using them as part of my learning curve.

My limited understanding is that it is due to the terrified wheat. What I've seen is that for unmalted grain it is advisable.

The CSI recipes seem to be well thought out and researched/tested, I'm using them as part of my learning curve.

Hmm, missed opportunity: the Pliny recipe has terrified wheat in it but doesn't include a protein rest.

Side thought: what has that wheat got be be all terrified about? Is it a Halloween thing?

Going to brew Da Yooper's pale ale (10gal) at a fund raiser. My local LHBS was hit hard by the flooding last month and he and some fellow veterans are going all uour to raise money for his shop and others in the strip mall. All in all, a very good cause!

Just mashed in for a Cherrywood smoked porter. Smells just a little different than a usual brew day.

Just about to pull out the hop bag on my first no chill batch. Chilling in the kettle and could only find conflicting into on whether or not to pull the hops or leave them in until transferring. Seems divided between "longer contact time = +IBU" and "Oils are gone from them already, isomerization will happen anyways." Err on the side of caution I suppose.

Looks and smells great so far. Also experimenting with a few less conventional things going on at once. Short mash (30 mins, iodine test was complete at 20), short boil (30 min), no chill. Done the first two individually without problem, time to combine them and see how it goes. 3 hours from start (measuring and milling) to now. If I wasn't pulling the hop bag from the kettle, it would be down to 2 1/2. Good time for 10g batch. If this turns out well I might just modify all recipes to fit the schedule.

Mashing out of a lambic that I am going to spontaneous ferment tonight (hopefully with good bacteria and yeast- see that allagash has been using their coolship and I am going to follow their lead)

Brewed an All Grain Festivus Miracle beer today smelled so good can't wait to Keg it 1.066 OG

image.jpg

I should be able to put down about 5 gallons of amber recipe I made. It has been raining every weekend for the last few weeks so have not been able to brew outside, but this weekend it should be dry. :ban:

Brewing NB's Caribou Slobber using some washed WLP001. I might accidentally slip some bugs into it after primary fermentation has ended.

Making a stout this Sat.

Tweeked my dry Irish stout recipe a touch and using more oats.

I'm not sure if it would be considered an oatmeal stout. We'll see once I taste it ;)

Brewing up a modified version of BierMuncher's Loon Lake Smoked Porter Saturday or Sunday - smoked the grains in my cold smoker last weekend and am doing some raspberries and vanilla in a secondary to end up with a smoked raspberry vanilla porter. It will be my first time using secondary and adding additional flavor elements.

Brew day is tomorrow. Will be making a batch of KingBrianI's Common Room ESB. I don't have an official rotation but this is one of my repeat recipes.

We're brewing another partigyle. Sierra nevada pale ale clone, and a 2nd runnings red ale we are calling "The Dankness Monster"

Cant wait for tomorrow.

Method: BIAB
Style: American Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity:

Final Gravity:

ABV (standard):
5.96%

IBU (rager):

SRM (mosher):

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 32%
3 lb American - Munich - Light 10L 33 10 19.2%
2 lb American - Vienna 35 4 12.8%
1.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 9.6%
1 lb American - Victory 34 28 6.4%
12 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 4.8%
12 oz United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 4.8%
10 oz American - Roasted Barley 33 300 4%
8 oz American - Chocolate 29 350 3.2%

15.13 lb Total

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Magnum Leaf/Whole 15 Boil 60 min 28.57

Mash Guidelines

Amount Description Type Temp Time
6 gal Infusion 155 F 60 min
2 Gallon sparge 168 F 10 min

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter:
No

Fermentation Temp:
68 °F

Brewing up a big RIS that should be similar to Surly's Darkness. Adding a lb of D180 syrup a few days into fermentation, which is not a usual RIS addition. Something that is added to Darkness. I'm within a percent or so of all of these ingredients, see Post #7 (different hops):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=273322

Trying to finish up before the Vikes/Packaz' game. Looking forward to Gerbschmidt crying in his beer over his Packaz' losing.

Brewed two clone recipes this weekend: Two Hearted Ale on Friday, then Allagash White today. As a relative noob, it was fun to spread the hobby by having some interested folks over to help with their first brew. Hopefully, they will like their wit beer when its ready.

Been a busy last couple months and struggled to keep the beer supply up. Making up for lost time this weekend with 3 brews: Blonde Ale, American Amber and Oatmeal Stout. Hope to follow it up with 2-3 more next weekend.

Brewed up a Spruce Ale on Sat. Used yeast from my Pumpkin Ale and went off like a bomb. (this time I used a blowoff tube so no mess) ;)

Back