H20...gatttoorrrrraaaaade. No really, just H20.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
Alright so I'm on a well system with one of those water softeners that uses salt to soften the water and supposedly nuetralize any hard elements (copper, iron, etc.?). The water tastes fine I suppose but before or salt treatment system, a reddish residue was left behind in places where the water would stand. Does the salt actually take care of this problem in regards to brewing? Also, if I was to switch to bottled Spring Water or Mineral Water or Distilled Water, which is the best for brewing? And finally is chlorine a problem in any bottled waters? Thanks!

if you had to switch from tap to anything i'd go with spring water, i've always gone with the rule of thumb being that the better the water the better the brew, if you have an artisan well, i'd go with that, short of that, spring water form the dispenser out front of the super market is a good bet,
you want water that has a little character to it, you know what i mean?

Water that has gone through the water softener won't make great beer. I have one and have to turn it off when I get my strike water. Also I have an activated carbon filter to help get good tasting water. You may want to look into the same approach to keep excessive iron out of your beer.

The reddish tint would be too much iron but your water softener is probably doing a okay job of filtering it except it's removing other important minerals as well. You could try using gypsum in the water, it's suppose to harden the water and replenish those minerals.

Here's a good post I found when researching about my softener https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/well-water-homebrew-33699/

The issue with water from the water softener is that it doesn't just strip the water of good minerals, it has an ion exchange with salt. You get a crapload of salt in the water and that doesn't make the best beer (drinkable yes, but not the best).

Back