Smack pack expanded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake37

Reaction score
Came back from vacation last weekend and my smack pack was fully expanded in my frig. I was gone for 2 weeks so it could technically have been this way for a full 3 weeks. Planning on brewing tomorrow. The pack is well within the expiration date. Do I need to get a new smack pack?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get familiar with starters! That's what I would do. Either way, I'm sure its fine.

Unless you lost power to your fridge and the yeast got too hot in their perfect little environment, they should be OK.

But yes, I second the starter theory! Even if it's for a night or two, might revive them enough if they are weak.

Thanks! Looks like I a going do my first starter.

I just did my first starter this week for a similar concern with a smack pack. It was educational and great for peace of mind. I pitched it into a dark ale last night and it's been going strong all day.

I have a feeling starters are going to be part of my normal routine now! :mug:

I found that doing starters resulted in a huge increase in the quality of my brews. I always do one now if I am not using dry yeast. I use a lot of US-05 and in that case I just make sure to use the proper pitching rate from Mrmalty.

Sometimes the packs will swell even if you don't break the nutrient pack inside. It's even posted on the Wyest website. No big deal. You should always make a starter anyway.

Latest posts

Back