Garden Hose Faucet safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduane

Reaction score
Obviously most garden hoses are not safe, and thus I bought camper/RV ones that are safe for drinking water, but this made me think, is your typical garden hose faucet and plumbing safe? Considering these are designed for utility/gardening and not for drinking I am concerned they may use parts/plumbing that might effect the water quality.

its the same brass and neoprene thats plumbed into the rest of your potable water.

The outside of it, being in the outdoors, may be filthy but the parts are the same.

Brass? More than likely copper. Galvinized pipe in older homes. It's safe. Might be a bit dirty but safe. I use mine with a R.V. Hose.

I've never seen a copper hose faucet, ever.
some frost free's have a copper extension tube to bring the seat inside but the faucet and seat is never copper.

Obviously most garden hoses are not safe, and thus I bought camper/RV ones that are safe for drinking water, but this made me think, is your typical garden hose faucet and plumbing safe? Considering these are designed for utility/gardening and not for drinking I am concerned they may use parts/plumbing that might effect the water quality.

Drinking from an outside faucet is as safe as drinking from and inside faucet. Unless you have had a yeti rubbing his junk on it every night, you will be fine.

I fill up my brewing water straight from the copper pipe taps (with a half of a campden tablet) and use a garden hose to run my IC and cleaning water.

I started doing this after my neighbor brewed a beer using water from his garden hose w/o running out the water that had been sitting in the hose for a week in the summer sun. The beer he brewed had a funny rubber hose flavor that was quite noticeable to my palate.

Redbeard5289

I built one of these a while ago. I have a small lead of line that hooks up to a garden hose. It works great for filtering anything out, and you can do whatever water treatment you want afterwards. It's so much easier to brew if you have a filter on hand.

Teromaus, do you have a part list handy for that water filter? The online article wasn't clear on part numbers and ill likely need to order it all online.

I use an outdoor spigot to fill my kettle (never with a standard garden hose attached).
The plumbing for the spigot is inside my house, & therefore is the same source as my drinking water.
I run all my plumbing, including the outdoor spigots, through a whole house water filter.

As I learn more about brewing, water chemistry is something I'd really like to dive into.

OK, looks like I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store to check out my options. I like the high-flow of the RV filter, but need the kitchen sink faucet hookup in my apartment.

I live and brew in a 3rd floor apartment and am trying to cut the death marches hauling 12 gallons of store-bought Hinkley water (it sure makes my pilsners pop!) in anticipation of a greatly increased brewing season in 2013.

Good to hear. I am interested in building an in-line filter like these. If you know your current water chemistry, is the resulting water chemistry somewhat predictable? (I suppose this question would be better off in the brew science subforum)

aubiecat said:
Drinking from an outside faucet is as safe as drinking from and inside faucet. Unless you have had a yeti rubbing his junk on it every night, you will be fine.

Is this a regular problem for anyone?

Back