Rye beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I'm looking to formulate a rye beer recipe but I don't know much about the style. It'll be a partial mash recipe so what percentage of my grains should be rye? What type of LME should I use? Any recommendations on grains?

I'm going to be doing a rye pale ale soon so I'll follow the thread.

I've never brewed with rye but for what it's worth here's what I've found through research.

About 20% rye will produce a nice background note. That's what proportion I'll use I think.

For you - what style are you wanting to closely follow or are you wanting pretty much a straight rye beer?

To be honest, I don't have much knowledge of rye beers. The only one I've tried is the rasta rye and I loved it but a rye IPA does sound good.

I don't have a partial mash recipe and I have never done one but I do have a all grain one that is one of my favorites. I hope this helps you out:

Rye IPA

Size: 11.0*gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.071 (1.040 - 1.055)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 13.05 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 6.98% (4.0% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 94.1 (15.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
18.0*lb American 2-row
7*lb Rye Malt
2.0*lb Caramel Malt 60L
1.0*lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1.0*lb Wheat Malt
2.25*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 20*m
2.0*oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30*m
2.0*oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
2*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0*m
2.0*ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
2.0*oz Columbus (15.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Mash - Target: 153*°F
Batch Sparge - 175*°F

I'm a big fan of the RyeIPA. I generally use around 12% in the mash along with some crystal and cara-pils. I recently added a little aromatic malt to the mix too, which gives a nice added flavor. Hops-wise, I just go with whatever you like in your favorite IPA.

Rye requires mashing, and a partial mash would be fine. You can use it up to 20% of the grainbill, and get a nice rye background flavor.

I know Northern Brewer sells rye extract, but it's new and I don't have any information or experience on how it's best used. I think you could try a kit from them for a rye IPA though and be pleased with the results.

I just brewed an all grain Rye Cream Ale over the weekend will be a bit before I can report back, but here is the grain bill.

6lbs 2-row Pale
1lb Rye
1.2lb Corn Flaked (Maize)
1.2b Rice Flaked

I just bottled NB's Rye PA partial mash kit (what they had prior to their rye extract coming out). Definitely pleased with the samples at bottling.

I love Rye PA's. It seems when I go to the fridge for a beer it seems they are the first ones I grab.

I find that about 20% rye gives about the right amount. If you really like the flavor of rye then you can up that a little. I use about 20% rye, about a lb of munich, a small amount of C60. Depending on how much you can mash add some 2 row. Then make up the rest with light DME. I hopped mine with magnum for bittering, and then Cascade and Amarillo. Yum.

I love Rye PA's. It seems when I go to the fridge for a brew they are the first one I grab.

I find that around 20% rye is a good amount. I do mine with 20% rye, about a lb of munich, a small amount of C60. Depending on how much you can mash add some 2 row and then make up the rest with light DME. I hop mine with Magnum for bittering, then Cascade and Ammarillo for the rest. yum.

I did a rye pale ale a while back that turned out fantastic. Full recipe on left or my blog.

You could probably convert it to PM by doing 2 lb 2 row, 2 lb rye malt, 1 lb munich, .5 lb 80L, and .5 lb honey malt with the rest being extract.

I highly recommend the hop schedule I used and American Ale II yeast. Turned out awesome.

never done a PM before was messing around trying to make one. any suggestions would be much appreciated. i want to make it fairly hoppy. i have Cascade, centennial, citra, chinook and some falconer 7's on hand.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 22.0 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 19.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.9 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 53.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer Flight 7 C's [9.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 1.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG