Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
I've never done a real wheat beer before but I love 'em. I was thinking this for a recipe. (Mini-Mash)

1.50 lbs Munich Malt
1.50 lbs Vienna Malt
0.50 lbs Biscuit Malt
1.00 lbs Crystal 40L
6.00 lbs Wheat DME
----------------------------
1.50 oz Hallertauer Pellets at 60 mins
----------------------------

Not sure on a yeast strain yet. My HBS only carries WYeast.

ProMash tells me it'll hit a SG of 1.080, around 25.7 IBU's.

So I have a couple questions.

Do my %'s look ok, i've never used Munich, Vienna, or Biscuit?

What yeast would be the best. I would like the WYeast 3333, however since you never know what yeast will be in stock i'd like to have a couple backups.
I was thinking 3068 as a backup, i wanted to keep it German Wheat, because i like the profiles but i'd settle for one of the Bavarians which one would be the better backup?

Munich, Vienna and Biscuit need to be mashed. I would maybe leave out some of the crystal and add some 2-row in the mini-mash to add some enzymes. Munich and Vienna can convert themselves, but don't really have enought enxymes to convert other grain.

It'll be a small mash since i don't have the necessary equipment for a big mash, do you think i could get away with mashing in about 2 gallons of water and sparge with 1 gallon?

So get rid of the Crystal and add some 2-row? how much would you recommend?

The mash water is fine. I'd sparge with about 2 gallons also. You're going to lose some water to the grain.

As far as the grain, I'd be afraid of the beer being too sweet. The gravity is already very high, and a pound of crystal is going to add even more sweetness, especially due to the low bitterness of the style. I'd back off the crystal to no more that 0.5 lb and make up the difference with at least 0.5 lb of 2-row.

Latest posts

Back