Man do I ever feel guilty!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyslug31

Reaction score
I just gotta get something off my chest...

Yesterday found a clone on the web and didn't feel like doing any recipe convesion and just didn't feel like investing my time doing the whole shebang so at the brewshop I bought......... wait for it......... extract.
My total cost was probably a good $15-$20 more than normal but good gawd, my entire brewing event took me a little over 2 hours. :rockin:

While I did add a little bit of specialty grains for effect, I still can't help but feel a little dirty. Will my AG brothers ever forgive me?

There, now I feel a little better. :D

Although AG brewing is great... it never hurts to make an extract batch every once in a while. I've been known to brew an AG one weekend, and then get the itch next weekend and end up doing a quick extract brew. Like you said, it helps shave off a few hours when making a batch. Nothing compares to the sweet smell of a 60 minute mash though...

What are you doing in here? You belong in the Beginner Brewers/Extract Forums!

I think laughing gnome compared it to a quickie behind the dumpster one time...

I'll probably still do extract every once in a while, especially if brewing over at a friends house (The big electric rig doesn't move so well)

+1 for occasional extract. The Sam Calagione book "Extreme Brewing" has a lot of advanced recipes that use extract/partial mash. Try those and maybe you wont feel too guilty.

What are you doing in here? You belong in the Beginner Brewers/Extract Forums!

...which reminds me, did I ruin it and should I dump it? It's been a good 12 hours and it doesn't taste like beer yet. What happens if I put it back on the stove, add some water, and then stomp in it like wine makers do to their grapes.

Will that help any? :D

I'll forgive you.

But if it were me, my wallet wouldn't forgive me. I brewed yesterday, bought all my grain and yeast for $15.60, used what hops I had laying around that were purchased for prior brews. I doubt I spent $20 to brew yesterday. :D I remember my last extract kit was $45! yikes!!

When I'm feelin' froggy I brew 10 gal all grain and 5 gal extract on the side for a 15 gal day in 6 hrs. Saturday will be 10 gal Lagunitas IPA clone and a 5 gal Kolsch. Guess I'm froggy.

...which reminds me, did I ruin it and should I dump it? It's been a good 12 hours and it doesn't taste like beer yet. What happens if I put it back on the stove, add some water, and then stomp in it like wine makers do to their grapes.

Will that help any? :D
Dump it by all means!! My doorstep would work & I"ll dispose of it properly.

The Oregon Brew Crew has an 'extract only' judging every year and several people have had their extract beers selected for the Widmer Collaborator's project. Never did get AG snobs, it's like feeling special because you can drive a stick shift. Does that mean you can't drive 90% of the cars in the country?

IMHO... There's a time & a place for everything. As long as it doesn't have an adverse affect on me, I have no problems with it!!!

I have a favorite extract recipe I still do once in a while when time is short. Having 20-30 lbs. of DME laying around makes that an easy choice some times. Your sins are forgiven!! Brew on!!!

I'll quote my own old blog; Revvy's Blog, Why Can't We All Get Along.

revvy said:
See, I don't consider myself an AG'er or an Extracter...I'm a homebrewer, I make the best damn beer I can! The way I choose to do it differs from batch to batch, recipe to recipe, time commitment or mood...But, I put the same effort and skill in an Extract recipe, as I do to an allgrain.

Some of my best beers are extract w/grains, I've done a couple of them as AG and realized that they taste the same, if not better as their original extract recipe...(My Yooper's dead guy clone, for instance....

...So I don't NEED to spend the whole day brewing AG to make those beers.

And there's at least one recipe that so far has only tasted good as an extract with grains...My Extract with grains amber ale (which I should make soon) when done the original way tastes dead on like Bell's Amber (but the color is a bit darker) I've done it as AG, and it taste good, but it just isn't a bell's clone.

Sometimes I just want to do an extract batch because of time constraints. It's a lot easier for me to have 2.5 hours of free time than 5.5 hours.

I am only on my 2nd AG - but I have extract brewed for over 10 years. I have to say that although they are a tad more expensive - the Williams Brewing kits are top notch and the best I have tasted on pure extract - and even comes with liquid yeast standard. Now that I start back to work Monday after being unemployed for almost a year - looks like a few extract kits are in my fuutre as well.

No shame brother...

i like to brew a few extract batches in the middle of summer. I dont like to stay in the heat all day unless i am in the water or at the beach or something. i brew outside both ways. i work in the heat all day so a 2 hour brew day is always nice.

i like the quickie behind a dumpster comment...its so true!!! As for extract itself, if you do it right no one should be able to taste the difference.

Back