Growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I'm looking to start using a few growlers when I bottle my next batch (along with regular 12 oz bottles). My question is this, is it ok to bottle condition in a growler ? Also is one type of top better than another ie screw cap metal vs nylon or a plug or what ?? Thanks for any info.

Plenty of people bottle in growlers, but I wouldn't do it. There's a lot if threads on here pertaining to why you shouldn't... Use the search, it's your friend!

I had a buddy do it and it came out pretty flat when regular bottles done with the bottle capper came out perfect. I stick to Sam Adams bottles

They're not made to contain pressure. They're far more likely to explode.

I have used growlers to bottle 4x. Worked. Carbed @ 2.4 vol.

You're really lucky, then. Carbonation pressure is more than storage pressure, and I've had several photos and first hand accounts of blown up growlers.

One time, a guy was doing a brewcast, and several of us were watching him brew. He handed a friend a growler and the bottom blew out while we all watched. He wasn't hurt, luckily.

Instead of bottling in growlers, soda bottles are fine. They can hold a lot of pressure, since soda is more highly carbonated than beer and they come in convenient sizes.

Yooper said:
You're really lucky, then. Carbonation pressure is more than storage pressure, and I've had several photos and first hand accounts of blown up growlers.

One time, a guy was doing a brewcast, and several of us were watching him brew. He handed a friend a growler and the bottom blew out while we all watched. He wasn't hurt, luckily.

Instead of bottling in growlers, soda bottles are fine. They can hold a lot of pressure, since soda is more highly carbonated than beer and they come in convenient sizes.

Plastic soda bottles (2 liters) or glass?

I had horrible trouble with glass soda bottles breaking when making homemade root beer many, many years ago. I don't recommend them. I hear plastic works just fine.

well that will be the last time then :D

I've probably bottled 30+ batches in growlers. Never once had one explode. Never had a carbonation issue (electrical tape around the cap a few times to make sure nothing leaks out though)

Unfortunate that others have a problem with it ):

From my experience I have had 12 oz bottles pop (I believe the batch was over carb'd and the batch got warm) lost a dozen or so bottles before I go them in the tub. A couple of 22 oz bottles blow and to date 3 growlers break. Altho I would not recommend or dis-wade anyone from either, I would exercise caution in anything you choose.

Yooper said:
Plastic is all I've ever used. I haven't seen a glass soda bottle since I was a kid! :D

Wow. This is blowing my mind. So we can "bottle" in a 2 liter soda bottle instead of a beer bottle? Just using the screw on cap it came with? Any cons vs traditional glass beer bottles?

Wow. This is blowing my mind. So we can "bottle" in a 2 liter soda bottle instead of a beer bottle? Just using the screw on cap it came with? Any cons vs traditional glass beer bottles?

Well, keep it in a dark place since soda bottles are clear and can "skunk" like clear bottles. Otherwise, no, I can't think of any other cons.

I've used 12 ounce, 16 ounce, 22 ounce, and 2L bottles with no issues.

Even if I"m bottling in glass, I like to have at least one bottled in plastic soda bottles. It's my 'tester' bottle. When it feels firm, that means it's carbed up and so the glass bottles should be carbed up too.

The only disadvantage to a big bottle is disturbing the yeast sediment. I like to pour it all in one pour, like in a pitcher, so as to not disturb the yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I dislike yeast sediment in my beer. So I normally use 16 oz size bottles- perfect for one beer for me in a pint glass.

Also my guess would be that ageing in plastic bottles will allow oxygen to get in. So for a strong, like a barley wine that needs to be aged, I wouldn't in a plastic bottle.

Plastic is all I've ever used. I haven't seen a glass soda bottle since I was a kid! :D
Coke sells a nostalgia six pack of 8 oz glass bottles. Spotted in Walmart.

I like to have at least one bottled in plastic soda bottles. It's my 'tester' bottle. When it feels firm, that means it's carbed up and so the glass bottles should be carbed up too.
I thought I was the only one to do this. I bottle at least one in plastic and press in the sides slightly. When the bottle inflates to its orginal shape, fermentation has started.

Back