6-row SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

944play

Reaction score
Anybody ever make a Single-Malt beer with ONLY 6-row? Would it be totally gross?

(If not, I was thinking Northern Brewer and Edinburgh Ale)

... um.

I'm confused. You mean 6-Row Pale malt, and... wild yeast? Or are you asking if 6-Row, NB, and WLP028 would be good?

I think I just biffed on your attempt at humor. I apologize.

I bet it'd be a'ight. I've heard of 6-Row tasting a little granier than 2-Row?? Don't know if that's myth or fact, never used 6-Row base malt before.

I'd still brew it though.

Hell I'll brew anything. :p

Oh, I dunno about 'bland'. There's any number of things you can do to improve the malt complexity without adding specialty grains. Decoction, for example.

Bob

I want to do a SmaSh with 25% of the grain separately roasted 5% at a time for different lengths as well as a triple decoction. That way I could honestly say I did everything I possibly could to one grain. I'm thinking a bock yeast with a lot of lagering time and simple yet balanced hopping schedule with possibly Tettnanger or Hallertauer. I just don't know how all that 6-row would taste honestly so I would be scared myself, but I would love to read your write-up if you do.

Or home-toasting 1# of the malt.

Hell I didn't even toast malt for mine - My 2-Row + Hersbrucker was downright delicious as-is. Nuthin' but US-05, 2-Row, and Hersbrucker.

Similarly my 2-Row + Centennial (US-05 again) was the bizzle.

I think I just biffed on your attempt at humor. I apologize.

Nah, you caught me being overly redundant. :eek:

I don't know what 6-row tastes like. As I understand it, the higher husk-to-grain ratio is what makes the flavor difference, and if barley husks taste anything like rice hulls smell, I think a nice, strawlike beer could be the result.

I was thinking 028 because it's pretty neutral, doesn't attenuate as far as Chico, and made a real clean 80/- for me.

I was thinking NB because I like Anchor Steam. :mug:

I just don't know how all that 6-row would taste honestly so I would be scared myself, but I would love to read your write-up if you do.

Well, it's going to have to wait. I have one fermenter open and I just picked up a schwarzbier kit - my first lager attempt!:p

Anybody ever make a Single-Malt beer with ONLY 6-row? Would it be totally gross?

I don't think it would be gross. You would likely need a protein rest and will likely need more 6r than 2r to make your desired OG.

When I started AG in the 80s I was using 6row exclusively since I was using a lot of wheat adjunct and that was the thinking at the time.* I did a couple of batches without wheat (ie, 6r only) and I don't remember it being gross at all.

fratermus
*I don't hear that recommendation made much anymore; perhaps the 2row enzymatic power has been increased over time? I have been doing 2r weizen with 33-40% wheat with no problems converting.

I don't think it would be gross. You would likely need a protein rest and will likely need more 6r than 2r to make your desired OG.

When I started AG in the 80s I was using 6row exclusively since I was using a lot of wheat adjunct and that was the thinking at the time.* I did a couple of batches without wheat (ie, 6r only) and I don't remember it being gross at all.

fratermus
*I don't hear that recommendation made much anymore; perhaps the 2row enzymatic power has been increased over time? I have been doing 2r weizen with 33-40% wheat with no problems converting.

Not only does most two-row have sufficient diastatic power, unless you're using raw wheat the wheat malt converts itself.

You only really need the distatic power of six-row when the malt:adjunct ratio reaches 1:1 (or 50:50% malt to unmalted adjunct), in order to convert gelatinized rice or corn. Even then, modern two-row malts probably have the diastatic power to convert 100% more starch than itself, depending on the mash technique.

Regards,

Bob

there has long been a misconception that wheat cannot convert itself. the reason you use barley with wheat beers is to provide a filter bed (wheat has no husks) and for flavor. i usually use around 70% wheat in my weizens.

soon i'm going to make an all-wheat SMaSH (using lots of rice hulls) just to see how it comes out.

6-row often has a little less diastatic power than wheat, still very high up there.

Not only does most two-row have sufficient diastatic power, unless you're using raw wheat the wheat malt converts itself.

I do generally use flaked, unmalted wheat. Thinking back, I don't remember malted wheat being widely available in the 80s although I could be misremembering.

Well, it's going to have to wait. I have one fermenter open and I just picked up a schwarzbier kit - my first lager attempt!:p

:off: but I had to tell someone -- my schwarzbier is 11 days old, down from 1.050 to 1.013 and very yummy! The 2oz roasted barley I added is actually quite apparent. I'll rack on Sunday and start chilling it down.

Back