Why become a paying member?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
The HBT community is fantastic. I've been a member for 2.5 years and in that time I've gone from a noob to somewhat of an intelligent brewer. I've seen the same thing happen to a lot of people who came after me - they show up not knowing much and soon have all sorts of conversations on proper conversion temps, the pro's and con's of decoctions, and proper kegging techniques.

All of this is basically free.

So why become a paying member? Well, for one, there are member-only areas. In these areas, we organize brew-swaps, have contests, and sometimes post things like specials we've found that we want to limit exposure. There are fantasy sports leagues, beer-bets, and other member-only fun.

So if you've enjoyed being in the community and you'd like to experience the "full-monty" then consider shelling overa few bucks and becomming a supporting member of the community.

Heh...already did.

I figured I was going to get at least $20 worth of saved brews and peace of mind ("Oh no! I [insert strange/bad thing here] my wort! Did I screw up??") from this site, so I considered it a bargain. ;)

Very true. Recently, I went back and looked at my very first posts in 2006. It's amazing how much I've learned since then.

Not only that, but I've made new friends, both virtual and real world, who enjoy brewing as much as I do from being on this board. As enjoyable as brewing is, meeting up with others to brew takes it to a whole new level.

I second this...... This forum has honed my skills as a brewer and the little tricks and tips have made brew day much faster/better/more accurately repeatable. I understand how some would wait to see if it were worth it or not to join, but all you have to do is check out the other forums and see how many responses you get for a great question, or how fast you get a response if you get one at all. This is the only web forum I have ever paid money to join. Maybe we need to make more things members only, but that might deter more from not joining, I have no idea just that this site and it's Mod's are very up to date. I know, maybe have a really really great newbie section that really teases them into paying to get more knowledge. Like I said, don't know what can be done just that I want this to be the most talked about forum on brewing. I am about to do a advertisement in a way on my myspace and put some info for people to find this forum.

The site is great. I bought several brewing books for around $20 each before I found this site. The information I get from this site are way more up to date than any book. I paid my membership to say Thank You for such a great site.

I did it for the decals ;)

Kidding. I did it because in my first week of reading, I took on a good amount of info and figured I would be here for a while, and that being the case, I should support the site.

I figured it was the honest thing to do considering I was making full use of its resources and expected to for some time. I think I ponied up in a week or two after joining. It was shortly after Christmas but I wasn't one of those Christmas gift brewers; it was just a coincidence. Coming up on my one year anniversary. I strongly suspect there will be a renewal soon.

I plan to, honestly... as soon as I have some money that I don't spend on brewing or brewing gear :)

But seriously probably in jan.

I also plan on doing it as well, I am just always a little strapped for cash. If I make it to 500 posts I'll feel pretty obligated to register, and considering I have only been posting here since september I don't think that 500 is to far off.

I'm a member on a couple of forums and knew after my first day of reading that paying was not only the right thing to do but well worth the price.

Cheese, funny you starting this thread since in some areas of HBT, yours are the threads I'm scared to open. :D

I've seen far too many wonderful, helpful websites fall by the wayside when the owner couldn't afford the bandwidth anymore. It's up to all of us to make sure this site doesn't follow that trend. Pay Up everyone! You're getting your money's worth right now....... But after you pay you even get the bonuses that have been mentioned above.

This reminded me to check on my subscription status. Mine runs out on 1/8. So I went ahead and upgraded to a Premium now. Woooha!

now where's my decal? ;)

Evan! said:
This reminded me to check on my subscription status. Mine runs out on 1/8. So I went ahead and upgraded to a Premium now. Woooha!

now where's my decal? ;)

I'll be up for a new one in June. I think I'll become a life-timer when I renew!

Just go to your User CP. Towards the bottom on the left there will be a link for "Paid Subscriptions"....it's under the "Miscellaneous" tab.

Nurmey said:
Cheese, funny you starting this thread since in some areas of HBT, yours are the threads I'm scared to open. :D

It's all just an elaborate trap...

:cross:

Seriously though, pony up freeloaders!!!

:p

This site rocks!

:rockin:

Just checked mine at it was going to run out 01/08/08 so I just sign back up as a "Premium Member". OH Boy!!!!!

Maybe now I will get a decal?????

I frequent a few forums, and this is the only one I've ever paid for. Everyone here seems really nice and dedicated to one common goal -- helping people brew good beer. :)

As I type this, I'm watching my first AG batch boil. I couldn't have done it without you guys and gals, so thanks!

as soon as I have some money that I don't spend on brewing or brewing gear
In the 2 years I've been here I think I have more than gotten my money back by coming here first and not making mistakes or getting advise on correcting them before the beer had to go down the sink

I started lurking here in October, 2007. After awhile I realized the value of what I was getting. I mean come on you are in the middle of a screwed up brew or have no clue as how to proceed and in 20 min you can get an answer on this forum. Cant have that in a " How To " book ( although they are valuable")

Also talk about opening horizons.. I was just a regular Ale guy, nothing exciting brewerer. And on here you see some awesomly crazy and great ideas... people brewing sour beers with open fermentation in orchards !!! Other people have cut the top of their keggel with what appears to be an RPG round. The creativity and good advise of the community really helped me alot.

My 2 cents.

I did it because I felt bad making an a$$ out of myself for free.

My brewing budget is pretty small, but this site has been the single best tool I have for brewing. There is no way I could have learned as much as I have as fast as I have without this forum! $100 in books still wouldn't have gotten me there- 20 bucks is a steal! I just couldn't freeload off of the guys with avatars anymore!
:tank:

After a week or so I decided that there is definitely enough knowledge here to keep me coming back. And $20 is nothing for such a wonderful resource. So I joined for a year.:tank:

If after one year of getting to know me isn't enough to get me banned, then I'll be joining for life.:drunk:

EDIT: Oh yeah, then I found Thursdays!:ban:

Is this an annual fee ? If so, how do I find out when renewal is due ?

HBT is simply worth the cost of 5 draft beers ...

DaveyBoy said:
I frequent a few forums, and this is the only one I've ever paid for. Everyone here seems really nice and dedicated to one common goal -- helping people brew good beer. :)

+1

I looked at it like buyin' the next round. Plus the lack of embarrasment asking the poor guys out at the LHBS.

(Jeez, why did someone have to mention the hot chicks in the member's only sec..... Whoops!) :cross:

Cough up, cheapskates! It's your round! These folks have already saved your hiney enough!

I've also never paid for any website, but did so here because the community, help, and support are all first rate!

There really is so much going on here, I have no need for a local brewing club. In so many ways it's better than a brew club. What brew club could I get an answer to an emergency question at 3 in the morning?

Orpheus said:
I've also never paid for any website, but did so here because the community, help, and support are all first rate!

There really is so much going on here, I have no need for a local brewing club. In so many ways it's better than a brew club. What brew club could I get an answer to an emergency question at 3 in the morning?
seriously, dude. it's amazing that you can actually ask a question on here during a brew session and get enough HELPFUL and KNOWLEDGEABLE feedback to put your mind at ease before the brew is finished.

HBT rocks! :rockin:

:mug:

Back