Anybody do wet/green-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I was visiting my son in CA this past week and had a chance to taste a wet(green)-hopped IPA. It was very good, with a slight difference in taste and aroma. I never heard of this method until this visit. I was one day late, just missing a wet-hopped beer festival. :(

I had some wet-hopped "harvest" beer in a brewpub in San Francisco last month. Much more bitter to my palate than the dry hops, but damn good.

OT: I had some beer made with syrah grapes in that same brewpub that was absolutely fantastic. First time I had come across something like that...

I've had about 30 different fresh-hopped beers. They are relatively common up here. Not so much on the East Coast because you have to use the hops within 48 hours of picking. FedExtra Mild from Dogfish Head is about the only one I can think of.

I did a fresh hop mild myself this year.

Like david said, it's very difficult for a homebrewer to do a wet-hopped beer because the hops must be utilized within a day or so of coming off the vine. If not dried, hops spoil insanely quick.

I would assume all wet-hop harvests are brew-pub/craft brew central, and out of the realm of homebrew "jurisdiction."

Not if you live in the Pacific North West or grow your own. We actually have an event called HopMadness during the harvest. Get a bunch of homebrewers together, tour a hop farm, drink heavily-hopped ales and brew with fresh hops.

I suspect there would be mildew problems in the south-east.

Back