12V relay board BCS 462

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twalsh

Reaction score
So I'm having some difficulty with my valves and relay board. I bought a 8 relay module board 12V see ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250609010929?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And I have some 12V ball valves: http://www.tf-valvefittings.com/goods-2.html

I have a 12V 2A power supply going into the VDD and GND of the relay board. On the BCS 462 I select Output 0 and the green light on the relay board lights up but no action on the valve. A multimeter check shows that 12V is on the board but I'm not getting 12V through the relay. I have the Green wire to NO, Black to Channel 1 and Red to NC. If the relay light is on I get about 100mV on the NO side and 0mV on the NC slide. If the light is off, I get reverse (0mV on NO side and 100mV on NC side).

Any ideas?

I looked at the ball valve diagram and you need to apply voltage in one direction to open and apply voltage the other direction to close the valve. I suggest that you try operating the valve with straight 12V first then try switching the voltage in with relays.

Also, to make this valve work correctly you will need to use two relays, with the relay commons wired to the valve and the relay NO & NC connections alternately wired to 12VDC and ground.

I'm not doing gas because I don't have natural gas at the house & propane is too expensive, but if I were I don't believe I would be using a solenoid that required a voltage to close because it's not fail safe. I'd use something like one of these that requires voltage to stay open, so that if I loose power the solenoid snaps shut.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-1-4-...332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec756fc7c

This is just for liquids, not for gas. I did try and place the Black into the GND and the red and green into the VDD side (not at the same time). The ball valve does start moving (open for green and close for red).

I had thought that the voltages on the output side of the relay would be in the 12V range when I click on the output in the BCS, but they're nowhere near that, which is why the ball valve isn't moving.

Are you also supplying 12V to the circuit you are switching with the relay?

My wiring is like the image attached.

Wiring.jpg

OK, the relay does not supply power to anything, it switches a independent outside power source between the NO and NC contacts. Connect one side of your 12VDC C4 terminal and the other side to the valve common terminal and it will work.

I'm sorry I'm not following you. So for instance connect the Green wire from the valve into NO4, but where do the Red and Black wires go?

Disconnect the wire that runs from the solenoid to the relay C4 terminal from C4 and connect it to the GND terminal of the relay board. You will now have two wires under the GND terminal, one from -12VDC and one from the valve BK terminal.

Run a new wire from the relay C4 terminal to the relay board VDD terminal. You will now have two wires under the VDD terminal, one from +12VDC and one from the relay C4 terminal.

If the solenoid works opposite of what you want, swap the green & red wires that are attached to the NO4 & NC4 terminals around.

Glad to help - a lot of people miss the fact that a relay is just a switch and you have to provide outside power, which you just did by tying into your 12VDC power supply.

Back