Calling the Kolsch and Pils drinkers!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
I am more of amber ales, porters and LHMS drinker. I never really found a Pils I liked so I don't brew any. Earlier this yr. a good buddy gave me 80 swing top bottles. I want to make him a case of GOOD BREW. He is a Pils guy. All the the empties were "WeihnachtsBier" "Schwaben Brau"

Found this recipe on HBT and seems to get good reviews.
Is this recipe a good treat? Is it close the Schwaben Brau?

Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch for CHRIS D.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Crash cool to 39 for 4 days then keg

This tastes more like a pilsner than a Kölsch, though I'm using kölsch yeast. It ferments out dry so is it very crisp and with 36 ibu's, it's not sweet like a German Ale. This end up just over the edge on the style numbers for ibu, abv, og. etc, but since I'm using kölsch yeast, it's a kölsch in my book.

Darn tasty and another staple brew in my kitchen.

All Grain
7# 2 row Pils Malt
2.5 # Wheat Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151 degrees.

Boil for 90 minutes to reduce DMS from the Pils malt.

1 oz Perle 7.8% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 5 mi.

Ferment for 10 days at 68 degrees, crash cool to 39 for 4 days or longer, then rack to keg.

I've never made a pilsner, but I've drunk quite a few breweries in Germany and especially the Czech Republic; I don't recall seeing them use wheat, and certainly not in that amount if they did. I'd use only pilsner malt and a little Carapils.

But again, I've never actually made one cause I can't lager; though I will be trying this winter.

The Wyeast Kolsch yeast is very good. Don't be afraid of a little wheat, but mainly due to the Reinheitsgebot there would not traditionally be any wheat in the beer. Use some German Pils, caramunich or carapils to taste, mash is OK and use the WYeast 2565, make a starter. It's an easy drinking beer with notes of pear.

Also, this is supposed to be a VERY clear and clean beer. 2 weeks in primary at 60-64 (internal temp) is better, then cold condition for another 3-4 weeks in the fridge at 34ish. If you put it in secondary it will clear faster. Then bottle or keg.

I am more of amber ales, porters and LHMS drinker. I never really found a Pils I liked so I don't brew any. Earlier this yr. a good buddy gave me 80 swing top bottles. I want to make him a case of GOOD BREW. He is a Pils guy. All the the empties were "WeihnachtsBier" "Schwaben Brau"

Found this recipe on HBT and seems to get good reviews.
Is this recipe a good treat? Is it close the Schwaben Brau?

Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch for CHRIS D.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Crash cool to 39 for 4 days then keg

This tastes more like a pilsner than a Kölsch, though I'm using kölsch yeast. It ferments out dry so is it very crisp and with 36 ibu's, it's not sweet like a German Ale. This end up just over the edge on the style numbers for ibu, abv, og. etc, but since I'm using kölsch yeast, it's a kölsch in my book.

Darn tasty and another staple brew in my kitchen.

All Grain
7# 2 row Pils Malt
2.5 # Wheat Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151 degrees.

Boil for 90 minutes to reduce DMS from the Pils malt.

1 oz Perle 7.8% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 5 mi.

Ferment for 10 days at 68 degrees, crash cool to 39 for 4 days or longer, then rack to keg.

For my taste, that's a lot of wheat. My recipe calls for 1/2lb of wheat. I also usually ferment for a little longer, but if it's done it's done. Looks good though..

That's a great yeast btw...Cheers

harrymanback92 said:
I've never made a pilsner, but I've drunk quite a few breweries in Germany and especially the Czech Republic; I don't recall seeing them use wheat, and certainly not in that amount if they did. I'd use only pilsner malt and a little Carapils.

But again, I've never actually made one cause I can't lager; though I will be trying this winter.

You won't find wheat in many pils, but most Kolsch recipes have an average of 10% wheat. I recently read a book about Kolsch and found that this is also true for commercial versions.

Latest posts

Back