Can I make a Mash Tun and a HLT for 200?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade_The_Raw

Reaction score
I just spent 40 on a 15 gallon keg, then another 40 on the spigot for it. I turned it into a awesome brew keggle that im very proud of. Now I just need a HLT and a Mash Tun and a Chiller.

Can I get the rest of the stuff for 200? Or make it?

Easily. Two 10 gallon coolers will do the trick. $40 each at Home Depot. 2 valve kits, $40 each. Bazooka screen for mash tun, $20. Total $180ish. A little left over for tubing.

I don't see any problem. The HLT can be a cheap pot since it's just water, you can get a 10-12 gallon cooler reasonably and add a spigot. How much that will cost depends on how complicated a manifold you want. The chiller is a bit less flexible. Copper prices are high.

Yeah... you can probably do it for $200 easy. I'll suggest getting a bulkhead kit from one of the great vendors here. After all the time and $ I spent collecting the parts, it wasn't any savings for me. YRMV.
Part of the trick is to keep your eye out for the Coolers to go on sale. Even at $50 locally, that's $100 left over for other parts. You can batch sparge to start until you get more cash. it'll only be a little more for a false bottom and sparge arm.

Back